Fermentation issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchallica

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie, only working on my second brew, but so far I'm loving my new hobby and can see why so many of you are addicted.

I'm probably just being a nervous noob, but I think I'm having a problem with fermentation. I'm brewing a 1 gallon batch, a chestnut brown, from BBS. The first time I brewed it, I could see by the 2nd day that my batch was fermenting violently, it was really moving in the carboy. This time around, within the same time period, very little fermentation is happening. I pitched the dry yeast at 70 degrees, so I don't think that is the issue. Should I add more yeast? How much would I add for a 1 gallon batch? Am I just being crazy?

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie, only working on my second brew, but so far I'm loving my new hobby and can see why so many of you are addicted.

I'm probably just being a nervous noob, but I think I'm having a problem with fermentation. I'm brewing a 1 gallon batch, a chestnut brown, from BBS. The first time I brewed it, I could see by the 2nd day that my batch was fermenting violently, it was really moving in the carboy. This time around, within the same time period, very little fermentation is happening. I pitched the dry yeast at 70 degrees, so I don't think that is the issue. Should I add more yeast? How much would I add for a 1 gallon batch? Am I just being crazy?

Thanks!

Give it time, for sure. Did you rehydrate your yeast?

Give it time, for sure. Did you rehydrate your yeast?

Unfortunately not. I didn't realize I had to do that, it wasn't in the BBS instructions. I didn't happen to do this last time though and it seemed to come out ok. Definitely something I won't forget again :-/

Definitely helps to rehydrate, but it will still work. And like the others say, just wait; it'll kick in.

I'm with the rest of em relax.... It'll work out how long has it been now?

I'm with the rest of em relax.... It'll work out how long has it been now?

Almost three days now. It's fermenting, just very lightly, not nearly like the last batch, which was bubbling like crazy at this point. It has only a touch of krausen too.

What yeast is this? All strains ferment at different rates.

What temperature is it at?

Any FermCap used?

It was dry yeast in a packet, but I have no clue what kind it was. It's at about 69-70 degrees right now. I did not use a Fermcap.

Even though you didn't rehydrate most dry yeasts have nutrients already stored up so it should work out. Btw did you aerate before pitching? I know its only a one gallon batch but that always helps. Cheers!

Even though you didn't rehydrate most dry yeasts have nutrients already stored up so it should work out. Btw did you aerate before pitching? I know its only a one gallon batch but that always helps. Cheers!

Yes, I shook it really well for a good deal of time. Thanks everyone for your help :mug:

Day 7 and there is still not much going on, is the lack of krausen a bad sign? Sorry for the crappy pics.

20130209_170415.jpg

20130209_175711_LLS.jpg

Latest posts

Back