Cost of Surly Darkness / Smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I have someone that can get me 2 bottles of Darkness but says its $25/each. Are they really this expensive @ retail?

At the Darkness release event they partner up with a local liquor store and charge $18 / bottle. After that, I've seen it anywhere from $18 - $30 in the store. So, $25 / bottle doesn't seem that out of line.

Thanks. I did some googling and did find stories about some places charging $35+.

Crazy!!! It better be some good sh*t!!! ;)

It's fantastic. I'm actually doing my best to come up with an extract clone recipe. Attempt #1 will be coming up shortly and I'll just keep adjusting from there. It won't be perfect but maybe it will tide me over until Darkness is released again the next year. :)

Hopefully NB will be able to provide a real recipe. They already have a few official Surly recipes on their site.

Darkness retails for around $18-23 when it first comes out, if you can get it. after that the price goes up. 2 and 3 year old bottles can fetch $75+. one of my co-workers bought about a dozen bottles so he could trade for other rare/collectible beers. Smoke was $13/bottle at my local store when it came out last week. im not a big smoked beer fan though and "Smoke" is VERY smokey.

I've had Darkness twice from a friend. I had no idea... 2 and 3 year old bottles for $75?!?

I thought it was interesting, but not all that great. I am glad to live in this breweries backyard. Much better offerings from Surly IMO.

I've had Darkness twice from a friend. I had no idea... 2 and 3 year old bottles for $75?!?

I thought it was interesting, but not all that great. I am glad to live in this breweries backyard. Much better offerings from Surly IMO.

$75 beer is a combo of limited production and good marketing. i wouldnt personally pay that much, but i have seen those prices on craigslist.

Back