Green Beer: Cold Temps OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have green beer, does it need to condition at "room temps" to loose its green characteristics, or if you keep it at serving temp will the green dissipate?

Does the temp of the beer matter?

I've made my second batch of Belgian Wit. I hear that it's good to drink it young, but again I've kegged and chilled/carbed, and it's got definite harshness.

From my experience they age fine cold and under pressure. Maybe someone can chim in on if it will happen faster at room temp, but I promise it will happen cold.

If the beer is in the 70's the yeasts are at their most awake, and therefore they have more of a chance of cleaning up the beer rapidly than if the beer were colder...if you get too low then they would go dormant..and anything below 70's would mean that it would take them longer to do their job..that's why we recommend 3 weeks at 70 degrees as a decently minimum time for most average strength beers...some may take less, and many will take a few weeks, to many months longer depending onthe gravity of the beer...

I have more info here...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Of_Patience_and_Bottle_Conditioning/

Revvy,

Thanks for the tips. Based on this advice, it looks like I should pull the keg out of the fridge, set at room temp and maybe shake it a little tomorrow after it's warmed up. That way the yeast may come alive and help clean up the harshness. Sound right?

The part that further confuses me is that I've read that wits are great to drink young. This one ... not so much.

Revvy,

Thanks for the tips. Based on this advice, it looks like I should pull the keg out of the fridge, set at room temp and maybe shake it a little tomorrow after it's warmed up. That way the yeast may come alive and help clean up the harshness. Sound right?

The part that further confuses me is that I've read that wits are great to drink young. This one ... not so much.

Yes to the first part....

But wits are meant to be consumed young, unless you aren't happy with it...if it tastes green to you then letting it age a bit will help...

Even pulling it out of the cold for a couple days and letting it come up to temp for a few days, then cooling it back will help it out...

Good luck! :mug:

Back