siphon/vac coffee maker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best coffee you will ever have. I promise.

I'm too lazy to do vac. I have a melita grind and brew. beans and water in, coffee out.

B

Article pinched.

Ghetto Siphon Coffee

Several months ago I read an article in New York Times about a $20,000 Japanese siphon bar at Blue Bottle Cafe in San Francisco.

A siphon bar or vacuum coffee maker uses vapor pressure & vacuum force to brew coffee. Many believes this would give coffee a cleaner, crisp, rich & smooth taste.

As a coffee aficionado myself, I believe the attraction to siphoned coffee is purely based on placebo effect.

To prove my point, I have built my own vacuum coffee maker for using only a moka pot & a glass salt shaker. Of course, you can also purchase a Bodum Santos for less than $100, but where is the fun in that?

P1020355.JPG

My total cost was much lower than $20,000. Granted, I did not have fancy glass globe as the water reservoir.

P1020358.JPG

After filling moka pot's boiler with water, I placed empty salt shaker over the top & coffee ground around it.

P1020366.JPG

Heat.

P1020374.JPG

Similar to regular siphon coffee maker, water has expanded after heating & traveled upward into the upper chamber.

P1020380.JPG

After removing the moka pot away from heat source, brewed coffee siphons back into lower chamber as it cools.

P1020384.JPG

Voila! Now you can also enjoy the same kaleidoscopic beverage all the pretentious hipsters are raging about.

I'm gonna have to try the salt shaker trick.

Do a blind taste test.
French press and vacuum pot. Pick which one you like the best. you'll be suprised at the results.

Latest posts

Back