I made a boo-boo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
Okay I brewed my Stout that I ordered from morebeer.com yesterday. Everything went well, the process was perfect until I had to top up my fermenter with water. I topped it to the 5 imperial Gallon mark instead of the 5 US Gallon mark.

My primary fermenter has both graduations but on opposite sides of the bucket. And I realized it when my hydrometer reading was significantly lower than it was supposed to be. It was estimated at 1.050-1.055 and my reading was around 1.045.

I am assuming I am going to have a lighter stout (if that makes sense), with a lower alcohol content, but it should still be drinkable.

Are there any other side effects of adding too much water?

Of course it will still be drinkable. I wouldnt worry about this too much. With only 5 points there shouldnt be a huge difference in taste

Thanks guys!

I figured it would still be tasty like beer.

I used a blowoff tube for the first time for this brew because I filled a couple airlocks with my last two brews and so far it hasn't even come close to the lid.

Sounds like you'll have a nice session beer on your hands! :mug:

Stouts have so much flavour to begin with, you have to water them down a lot before you'll notice anything - 5 points is nothing.

Back