Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image_zpskvjwaj6f.jpeg

Someone gave me a ghost pepper this weekend. (The things you go home with from the bar!) I was pretty underwhelmed. It's a very hot pepper, but I expected to be on the floor. I had some Szechuan chicken recently that was considerably worse. Our unknown long red hot peppers this year were as hot and much better. Not sure what the fuss is.

I seriously doubt it was a real ghost pepper then. Like 100% certain it was not a ghost pepper...if you had something you call a 'long red pepper' that was just as hot.

Sounds off to me too. Even the low end of their scoville range is considerably hotter than the majority of peppers. If a tiny slice of the pepper doesn't pack some brutal heat it's probably not a super hot. There's no mistaking the heat of a super hot it's painful.

Lmao like I said there's no mistaking a super hot, it's painful. I don't know why people do dumb stuff like that though. Peppers are no joke and will not show you any mercy. Love them, respect them, fear them!

Two weeks ago I puréed a handful of jalapeños and a couple habs with just white vinegar (about enough to cover) and salt, and have been using it on everything in place of your standard store bough hot sauce for 2 weeks. Plenty spicy (and delicious - seems to get better tasting, and spicier, as it sits.). I really just don't see the point in eating something that hot just straight up, without incorporating into some recipe where it's balanced/edible. On the other hand, their stupidity is pretty hilarious, sooo...their pain our laughs?

Thx hops. Thats what I thought on the habaneros but sometimes the more pictures of plants I see the more they look the same. The red one is almost star like on the end. I assume it won't kill me. Funny thing is the reapers are just sitting out in the open. I was picking up eggs but then saw these on the counter. Ok. Lets play with death.

They're really not that bad. Cut one in half, remove the seeds and placenta, chop into small pieces, add a few pieces to food and you'll get an idea of your tolerance level. I few tiny pieces won't level you I promise

these scare the h3ll out of me. haha. :taco:

Me too - the skin looks like it's broken out in prickly heat rashes. Which makes me want to take the challenge that much more. I'm going to get some seeds from Pepper Joe and give them a try. But this past year I grew so many habs that I could not find use for, so it's probably a dumb plan.

Me too - the skin looks like it's broken out in prickly heat rashes. Which makes me want to take the challenge that much more. I'm going to get some seeds from Pepper Joe and give them a try. But this past year I grew so many habs that I could not find use for, so it's probably a dumb plan.

If you haven't, consider making your own dried pepper powder. Simple to store, don't have to worry about it going bad, and I think it makes it easier to work into more foods. Eggs, popcorn, guacamole, pizza, etc. All you need is a coffee grinder and some extra spice shakers. My buddy in Rochester does this every year with around 30 pepper varieties and it's absolutely killer. I have vintages from about the last 4-5 years and it's a lot of fun comparing them.
The past few years I've done the same with my harvest except I smoke mine before grinding them up.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476194804.627062.jpg

Yessir, I've done that with Cayennes and Habs. I use the food processor and make flakes and powder at the same time. I smoked the cayennes with mesquite and the habs with oak. So good!

Pics below, because IMO these threads are better with them. Those are quart jars of the cayenne flakes and powder.

_mg_1662-67492.jpg

_mg_1653-67490.jpg

_mg_1660-67491.jpg

_mg_1668-67496.jpg

Last edited:
I would guess chocolate habanero cross of some sort and not sure on the big red one.

Stopped by and had a very yankee conversation with Old Farmer Brown as we turned around the barn and about 150 years. I noticed he was selling full plants and they were chocolate habs in the cold frame. Some frost damage tho with our growing season ending. I asked about the other pepper and he said he forgot and lost the list a long time ago. He did tell me he wasn't sure if it was real but he saw on the internet a video of a guy eating a whole reaper and laying on the ground as if he was dying. I told him it was real and was hoping to avoid that. For a yankee thats giving too much information. I believe the others are not too hot. May try a salsa. I told him id buy a bunch of plants next year. These had a lot of flowers and fruit but some damage

View attachment 1476235227064.jpg

View attachment 1476235259190.jpg

i make a pretty bad ass relish with habs..its mostly honey, cider vin, and dried fruit and alot of habs sliced thin. last time u used dried cherries, rasins, sliced dried apricots and fresh blood orange as well. so damn good. i used 10# of chilies and ended up with enough to last a year.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476359694.047439.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476359795.653989.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476359843.554428.jpg

1 pound of peppers, about 8% salt to pepper ratio, with a dash of lacto pickle brine (to jumpstart fermentation.

A month later, drained the peppers and processed them in the mini-prep. Sam also oelek. We got 5 4-oz jars.

I'll be using the reserved brine with some other vegetables to make a sweeter but less hot sauce.

This is awesome. I never thought of making my own hot sauce and will have to try.

I make salsa. so am used to dealing with peppers, but I am going to have to try this during winter. (I grown my own habs, but that's it. my hot salsa has both reapers and scorpions in it, small amounts with pineapple and peppers)

Anybody besides Hoppy make their own pepper jelly? I used to be all about the salsas and sauces then I fell in love with pepper jelly. The relish reminded me of it. You'd do about the same thing you do for relish or sauce then add in a little sugar and finish with pectin before jarring it up. Definitely worth a go if you've never had or made some before.

What evil lurks within? Cute farmstand on the ride home. Ill probably powder the reapers. What are the other two peppers?

Chopped up that undefined pepper and had it with a salad yesterday. Goes well with a salad. Probably a variant of the bishop's cap. Really nice aroma and sweeter with a small amount of heat. The seeds had a good low heat that i liked.

Chopped up the reapers and habs tonight and are now in the dehydrator at 95 degrees. Tasted a piece of the choc habs. Those were good.

Back