Charleston Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srtce142

Reaction score
I know, I know...If it tastes ok to drink, it's ok to brew with.

Curious to see what Charleston area people are using for water. Bottled? RO / distilled with additives? Tap? Tap w/ carbon filter?

So far only made beer that was barely drinkable. Trying to eliminate potential sources of error. I've already changed from bleach sanitation to using star san and improved fermentation temperature stability (will further improve once my STC1000 arrives).

I live in Summerville and use tap water, no filters, softeners, chemical additives, etc, straight tap water. I have two other friends in Summerville and one also uses tap water and the other uses refillable 5 gallon jugs from Walmart. You cannot tell a difference between any of our brews.

Are you on city water or well water?

That is strange, I recently had a buddy move from Shadowmoss to the upstate and his brews were balanced as well. He would brew all grain using tap water, mashed into a cooler and boiled on a turkey fryer. I used to get off flavors when I was extract brewing but read a few tips and tricks and my flavors improved drastically. Check out Lowcountry Libations on Facebook, they are the local homebrew club and can give may tips to help out.

Back