Air lock with beer in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
I started brewing my first beer on Thursday and at some point the air lock has had beer come up and though it. I take its it's best to remove the air lock and clean and replace ASAP
As well as clean the outside of the demijohn/carboy
Any ideas welcome

Yes, clean the airlock, sanitize and return. This happens with a lot of brews (but it is hit or miss). I would suggest you use a blow off tube instead of an airlock during the first week of fermentation. You basically use a clean sanitized piece of tubing from your fermenter "hole" and stick the other end into a container of sanitizer. This will allow the gunk to be contained. This can be done with buckets or carboys. Mine looks like this.... It's just a much bigger version of an airlock.

IMG_20111205_145734.jpg

Cheers I will think about that for the next 1

As the wife may think I'm spending more on making beer than on the beer itself
I just wish the brew shop was a little closer as I'm not a fan of buying on the Internet. I like to see for myself the size and shape but I think 4 gallons of stuff brewing is about as far as I will get away with things till she gets to drink it
And limited space

Welcome to the madness. I doubt I'll ever actually break even. In fact, I know I won't. Just don't tell the missus....

I spent $3000 on a home brewery that I also use to make wine in, and the payback was about 18 months. (My wife loves very good wine!) But I am also in BC and a sixer of Sierra Nevada is close to $18.

Here's the thing though: many people would think nothing of paying $3000 for a ski vacation in Colorado, but go through the kitchen to scrounge up equipment for their home-brew hobby.

As for internet buying Annapolis Home Brew has a very compelling flat-rate shipping deal you could check out.

That's ok but being in the UK I think the shipping cost might get the bank manager after me as we'll as the wife

I use a half gallon plastic vodka jug as a blow off with 3/8" tubing that I made to fit the airlock grommet. The jug is filled 1/3 of the way with a splash of starsan. Using all starsan makes for the co2 blow off sending white foam everywhere. Adding starsan solution to the water in the jug works great & no foam. Save for krausen blow off.

Tell yourself whatever you want but you're gonna be hooked and you're going to be buying more stuff!
Just like anything hobby, you probably don't want to start doing the math. Make sure and throw every receipt away and just don't think about it.

I see. Your profile has no location. On the other hand there's a really decent home brewing scene growing in the UK right now and you might find some good deals there. I believe the economics would justify it there too. It's been a while since I've been there. How much is a pint of real ale in a pub nowadays? I'll bet you can brew it for less than half that.

Well a pint of ale that's at least £3.30 about $5 In the pub
but a 8 cans of 500ml £10 so about $15

Sierra Nevada
£2.30 UK price not bad stuff but the best I found in the states in 2 weeks

Well a pint of ale that's at least £3.30 about $5 In the pub
but a 8 cans of 500ml £10 so about $15

I can brew 500ml for about $1 Canadian, so if the price of supplies is about the same there, you might be able to justify a decent payback to the lovely wife eh?

If I don't count outlay of demijohns airlocks and stuff I'm hoping to get a 500 ml for about 50/70pence so as long as I make enough it should be cost effective in about 4 or 5 batches as long I don't end up buying more equipment

Back