Affordable brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkiskekyxx

Reaction score
Looking for an afforable pot in my area that could handle a 5 gallon boil. Everything I'm seeing is so expensive...does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should look for or where so I dont break the bank? Already spent so much on supplies. I live in Sewell, NJ 08080.

Check craigslist ads to see if you can find a 1/2 bbl keg and convert it to a boil keggle. All you'll need to add is a ball valve and dip tube assembly (in the $50 range, no bulkhead, just the valve, some o-rings, compression to npt fitting and an actual diptube, check bargain fitting's web site). IME, cheap pots are often made very cheap. Thin walls, bottoms, and won't hold up well to having holes put in them.

If you don't 'need' stainless, check restaurant supply stores for aluminum pots (stock pots) that are at least 32 quarts. I wouldn't go below 32 quarts even for 5 gallon batches. Doing so means you'll have trouble with longer boils, and/or higher ABV/OG batches. Better to get at least a 10 gallon kettle (made/bought).

I got a Bayou classic turkey fryer for 140 it says its stainless but I'm pretty sure it isnt (maybe the stand is)... not sure how "affordable" it is but you get the burner and pot in one go and it is about 8gal too.. so if you need both it may work out for you

Golddiggie said:
Check craigslist ads to see if you can find a 1/2 bbl keg and convert it to a boil keggle. All you'll need to add is a ball valve and dip tube assembly (in the $50 range, no bulkhead, just the valve, some o-rings, compression to npt fitting and an actual diptube, check bargain fitting's web site). IME, cheap pots are often made very cheap. Thin walls, bottoms, and won't hold up well to having holes put in them.

+1. Just got a keg for free from a frat boy SWMBO works with. $36 for a bulkhead and 3 piece stainless ball valve. I still have to get a dip tube (noobie, I forgot), but that is way cheaper than buying a SS pot.

+1. Just got a keg for free from a frat boy SWMBO works with. $36 for a bulkhead and 3 piece stainless ball valve. I still have to get a dip tube (noobie, I forgot), but that is way cheaper than buying a SS pot.

There's a special place in Brewer Heaven for such 'Frat boys'... :D

Every time a brewer (using such a keggle) a frat boy gets his wings... :rockin:

I got my "IMUSA" brand stainless 20qt pot off of ebay for 25 bucks shipped and I couldnt be any happier with it. Well, besides upgrading to a larger size. I have seen bigger imusa pots on there though.

+1 on the keggle idea. Seriously, you can go even cheaper without the bulkhead, ball-valve, racking-whatever-shenanigans. They're not needed unless you are using a counterflow chiller. Just chop the top off and pretend it's a huge pot. :) You'll need access to an angle grinder, but a single metal cut-off wheel is ~$1.50 at home depot. If you want to save yourself some trouble, cut it off at the point where the top dome weld hits the side, then you don't need to rig a ghetto jig to make a nice circle. You'll lose like a gallon of space, maybe. Then two heavy-duty aluminum gate pulls and 4 SS bolts for the handles will run you another $15 or so. The handles make it easy to pick it up and pour out the side too.

I highly recommend scouring craigslist in college towns for kegs. Frats put these things up for bulk sale like twice a year.

I might be exaggerating about "twice a year" but the last time I bought one, the guy had 6 more for sale in his backyard. It's like a goldmine of cheap stainless steel.

I used to use a canning pot. 32 quart black enamel finish. Works fine if you take care of it. Will likely fit over two stove burners. I've still got two of them I think kicking around. Where abouts in jersey are you? You can have one.

I just got an aluminum 40 qt pot from the vietmanese section in philly for a smooth 35 bucks

Back