What should I do with my Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never brewed with Simcoe as it's always so hard to get. I managed to get 5 oz but have no idea what I should make. I'm thinking a DIPA perhaps.
Anyone have any favs they want to share?

This recipe was a huge hit at the last monthly meeting of my homebrew club. I brought it thinking it wouldn't do that well since it was extract-based but I got about a dozen compliments and some recipe requests. The Simcoe is definitely present without being overbearing and it's very drinkable. It's also more geared to the traditional American IPA then a double but the hop schedule is 100% solid if you want to scale it up for a double or convert it to all-grain. Fresh it is wonderfully hoppy yet balanced. After a few months of aging the bitterness definitely gets more in-line with the commercial Ranger IPA.

2.25oz of Simcoe per batch, but you'll need Cascade and Chinook also. If you brew it, please update the recipe thread -- it'll help me develop the recipe further.

Cheers!

I've never brewed with Simcoe as it's always so hard to get. I managed to get 5 oz but have no idea what I should make. I'm thinking a DIPA perhaps.
Anyone have any favs they want to share?

This is one of the things that may be reciprocating the supposed shortage of Simcoe. It's like the shortage leads to higher demand, as people who don't even need/want simcoe buy it to hoard it. Just annoying to me.

Use the simcoe in some sort of IPA. Use it for flavor, aroma, or dry hopping. Don't waste it as a bittering hop.

This recipe was a huge hit at the last monthly meeting of my homebrew club. I brought it thinking it wouldn't do that well since it was extract-based but I got about a dozen compliments and some recipe requests. The Simcoe is definitely present without being overbearing and it's very drinkable. It's also more geared to the traditional American IPA then a double but the hop schedule is 100% solid if you want to scale it up for a double or convert it to all-grain. Fresh it is wonderfully hoppy yet balanced. After a few months of aging the bitterness definitely gets more in-line with the commercial Ranger IPA.

2.25oz of Simcoe per batch, but you'll need Cascade and Chinook also. If you brew it, please update the recipe thread -- it'll help me develop the recipe further.

Cheers!
Thanks for the link. I might give it a try and had a similar suggestion from my LHBS guru. Though, the last time I made a DIPA with cane sugar, it wasn't the best IMHO. 21% seems like alot to me though I've not made too many DIPA.
I do like the balance of the Simcoe and Cascades.

If you don't want a high gravity brew, I'd suggest the CYBI clone of Uinta Wyld Pale Ale. It is a session strength (5%) beer. Delicious and features Simcoe.

Cheers

I had great success with making a Bell's two-hearted clone with all simcoe instead of all centennial. Can't wait for simcoe to become available so I can make it again.

Make sure you dry hop with it, whatever you do. 2oz I would say. I'm dry hopping with 2oz right now and it smells great. Also had 2oz in the boil with some Centennial. Can't wait to drink it.

Simcoe is awesome. Can't go wrong with an American IPA or Pale with some simcoe in it. I hear some people don't like it but I think its a really great hop and only regret that I didn't discover it sooner.

How's this look? I'm thinking I may need to add another hop addition.
Due to the lovely summer heat, I'm thinking of trying this as only 2.5 gallons (also have a 2.5 gallon mini keg). If I like it, I'll do 5 gallons when the fall comes.
I have 'Light' in the name because while I'm not looking for a low gravity beer, I'm wanting to keep this at 8% or below so I may need to tweak this a bit more.

Simcoe Infusion Light DIPA
Imperial IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 2.5
Total Grain (lb): 8.000
Total Hops (oz): 3.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.082 (°P): 19.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.06 %
Colour (SRM): 15.4 (EBC): 30.3
Bitterness (IBU): 74.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 lb American 2-Row (75%)
1.000 lb Crystal 60 (12.5%)
1.000 lb Maris Otter Malt (12.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 153°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I appreciate all the great ideas. I'll take into consideration moving some hops around as I get close to the boil. I doubt I'd see much of a difference in bittering anyway.
Likely can't do this for another week or two but when it's over, I'll post and toast!

How's this look? I'm thinking I may need to add another hop addition.
Due to the lovely summer heat, I'm thinking of trying this as only 2.5 gallons (also have a 2.5 gallon mini keg). If I like it, I'll do 5 gallons when the fall comes.
I have 'Light' in the name because while I'm not looking for a low gravity beer, I'm wanting to keep this at 8% or below so I may need to tweak this a bit more.

Simcoe Infusion Light DIPA
Imperial IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 2.5
Total Grain (lb): 8.000
Total Hops (oz): 3.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.082 (°P): 19.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.06 %
Colour (SRM): 15.4 (EBC): 30.3
Bitterness (IBU): 74.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 lb American 2-Row (75%)
1.000 lb Crystal 60 (12.5%)
1.000 lb Maris Otter Malt (12.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 153°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

IMHO Thats WAY too much c-60 for a 2.5 gallon batch. I'd recommend cutting it down to like 4 oz. and switch that MO to munich. If you really want to use the simcoe in bittering that is fine, they are great for that but most people treasure them for their aroma and flavor too much to use them like that.

IMHO Thats WAY too much c-60 for a 2.5 gallon batch. I'd recommend cutting it down to like 4 oz. and switch that MO to munich. If you really want to use the simcoe in bittering that is fine, they are great for that but most people treasure them for their aroma and flavor too much to use them like that.

+1. That's a fairly flavorful crystal malt. I probably wouldn't put more than 8 ounces of 40L in an IPA myself (5 gallons).

I think 4 ounces of 60L would be plenty. There is always another batch to try if you don't think it's enough this time. 60L starts to get some interesting flavors. Each of the levels of Crystal malt has some uniqueness, especially the darker you go.

:off:
This is one of the things that may be reciprocating the supposed shortage of Simcoe. It's like the shortage leads to higher demand, as people who don't even need/want simcoe buy it to hoard it. Just annoying to me.

I make an effort not to develop a taste for unobtanium. I did the same thing with pipe tobacco, I wouldn't sample a hard-to-get or discontinued blend just in case I fell in love with it and had to suffer not having it. I'd rather not know what I'm missing and be content with bulk cascade and chinook on the cheap. But that's just me.

Midwest still has Simcoe for sale and it's been in stock for the last 3 weeks. AHS has the leaf in stock and Northern Brewer has a limit of 8 oz per order now however, my LHBS hasn't had any since late last year so I guess they hoard these.
I'm still trying to learn my way thru what a DIPA really is or consists of in this recipe. If it's got good aroma and nice and hoppy, I'll drink it.
Thanks again for all the great tips.

Agree with the post on too much crystal 60 for that size batch. I don't know how the numbers would work but what about a 1.0 oz Simcoe first wort hop (drop the 60 and 15 minute). Place the hop utilization at 20 min for the first wort to calculate bitterness and you might have enough without the 60 min at all. This would give off a bunch more flavor and some aroma.

This is about a half pound of c-40 in a 2.5 gal batch.

image-2710824783.jpg

Agree with the post on too much crystal 60 for that size batch. I don't know how the numbers would work but what about a 1.0 oz Simcoe first wort hop (drop the 60 and 15 minute). Place the hop utilization at 20 min for the first wort to calculate bitterness and you might have enough without the 60 min at all. This would give off a bunch more flavor and some aroma.

I like the idea of FWH but what's the best way to do this if you're doing a BIAB? I assume, just pull the bag and throw them in while the bag is draining? Then start the boil?

Don't do BIAB but assume what you explain makes sense. Add the hops when you are finished with the mash and getting the wort into the kettle.

Obtain an equal amount of amarillo and do 50:50 all late addition pale ale/ipa to your personal ibu taste. Together these hops have an awsome flavor. All late addition gives an amazing taste and a nice smooth bitterness. I push 60 ibus of a+s in a pale ale and the bcm croud to the beer snob croud loves it. Just a great combo.

Beer-lord said:
I like the idea of FWH but what's the best way to do this if you're doing a BIAB? I assume, just pull the bag and throw them in while the bag is draining? Then start the boil?

I BIAB and that is correct a mondo! Don't omit your 60 min addition thinking it will be too bitter, add it in addition to your FWH. FWH is sexy, I'm finding it is smooth from start to finish, not just upon first sip.

Just finished this today. Almost 84% efficiency. I surprised myself. SG was 1.074 with a projected at 1.076.....again, not shabby at all.
I now wish I would have done 5 gallons of this instead of 2 1/2 but I'll get to that another time.
Here's the final recipe I used....I opted to stick with O5 yeast for now but when I do a larger batch, would likely use 1056.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Simcoe Infusion Light DIPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.66 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 116.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 101.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.8 %
1 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.8 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 65.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 32.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.76 qt of water at 158.0 F 152.1 F 70 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
1 oz Simcoe leaf hops FWH

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

if you have a whole foods nearby, check there - they stock brewing materials including hard to find yeasts and hops (might be why they're hard to find with national markets snapping them up)...

one of my next beers is an all simcoe pale ale. thinking of making it a smash with MO.

dude's keep giving you recipe ideas for your simcoe and you already brewed, lol. looks like a winner to me. Let us know how it turns out.

Back