Some help with False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help. This is the 10G cooler I have, or something similar:

Cooler

I'm looking to buy a false bottom, and I'm thinking this is the right one (12"):

False Bottom

My question is a two-parter: 1) Is this the right false bottom? If not, which do I need? and 2) What kind of hosing/connections do I need to connect this to the spigot on the cooler?

And any other tips would help! Thanks!

Yea i just made mine. 10g rubbermaid cooler with the 12" bottom. Fits nice. You can buy a bulk head and valve (i imagine northern brewer has them) What i did was just buy a SS fender and silacone oring and took it all to lowes and just pieced it all together. i havent used it yet but it looks good

Here is a good tutorial
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mlt-tube-question-289563/

Here is mine. I used the tutorial but just used a hose to connect the 2 parts

good luck, cheers
:mug:

Yea i just made mine. 10g rubbermaid cooler with the 12" bottom. Fits nice. You can buy a bulk head and valve (i imagine northern brewer has them) What i did was just buy a SS fender and silacone oring and took it all to lowes and just pieced it all together. i havent used it yet but it looks good

Here is a good tutorial

Here is mine. I used the tutorial but just used a hose to connect the 2 parts

good luck, cheers
:mug:

Awesome, thank you so much! If I'm using that false bottom though, do I want to use a SS braided hose? If I do, won't the wort drain through that and defeat the purpose of the false bottom? What kind of hose do I want to use instead?

Unless you are fly sparing, I don't see a good reason to use a false bottom. SS braid or a bazooka screen work perfectly well with a lot less hassles. I haven't had a stuck sparge since I tossed my false bottom and got a $20 bazooka.

Unless you are fly sparing, I don't see a good reason to use a false bottom. SS braid or a bazooka screen work perfectly well with a lot less hassles. I haven't had a stuck sparge since I tossed my false bottom and got a $20 bazooka.

In my experience a stainless braid works only for 5 gallon batches. Making 10 gallon batches or even a 5 gallon batch with a heavy grain bill I've had nothing but headaches with braids. I recently did a triple decoction 10 gallon lager and talk about nightmare. I had to transfer my mash back and forth three times fixing the braid before I finished my sparge. In my opinion, eliminate the need to upgrade later and just go with the false bottom now.

If it works - then more power to ya! I wouldn't wish the hard time I had with my previous lager on my worst enemy. (mainly because he'd still wind up with pretty awesome beer)

Awesome, thank you so much! If I'm using that false bottom though, do I want to use a SS braided hose? If I do, won't the wort drain through that and defeat the purpose of the false bottom? What kind of hose do I want to use instead?

I just used a piece of nylon hose. but its the kind with a braid inside the nylon

I have the same cooler and that false bottom looks like the one I got from AHS (12") except that mine has a stainless steel right angle barb instead of brass (3/8" barb on top, but 1/2" on the bottom). In order to minimize the dead space, I cut a 1/2" stainless steel coupler in half (not exactly, maybe 60/40?) and used the shorter piece to replace the nut underneath the false bottom. This allows me to siphon out all but the bottom 1/8" or so.
I connect from the barb on the FB to a barb fitting on the ball valve with a piece of 3/8" silicone tubing with s.s. hose clamps.

I always throw a few ounces of rice hulls into the mash, more if I have something like flaked barley - this helps prevent stuck sparges and I've heard that it helps even out the mash temperature (according to Gordon Strong in "Brewing Better Beer").

One more recommendation - I've heard a lot of people complain about the lining on the inside of the cooler warping due to the heat. I suspect it may be more due to sudden temperature changes. I heat my cooler up gradually and so far have had no signs of warping. I have a kettle that I heat the water in - the output of the kettle goes to my March pump which pumps it to the cooler - the cooler is sitting higher than the hot water kettle. As I heat the water, I pump the kettle contents to the cooler, then turn off the pump and let the water drain back through the pump to the kettle (takes 4 or 5 minutes to drain) - when the kettle is full again, I pump it back to the cooler. The water is about 20º F hotter each time. It's a little bit of trouble to have to watch the pump, but worth it if it prevents damage to my cooler.

Back