Can I fix this? Is it even that broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
So I just bought a 32 quart pot and did my first full boil extract kit. It's a belgain wheat kit from my LHBS that uses two cans of LME. I started with a little over 6 gallons of water, and I think I made the mistake of covering the pot with aluminum foil, because I ended up with just about 6 gallons of wort instead of 5, causing my OG to be under shot at 1.044 instead of 1.049. This is already a low ABV beer, so I'm a bit worried that it is going to come out at like 3.5 ABV. Is there anything I can do tomorrow? I was going to put a bunch of blood oranges in the secondary for flavor. Will the yeast be able to convert those sugars into alcohol enough to bump the ABV?

I'm assuming you're aiming for 5 gallons of beer. Taste may not be what you expect in the end result, but I would pitch more yeast so your proportion is correct for 6 gallons of beer versus 5. Blood oranges will slightly increase ABV, you can always add stronger sugar like brown sugar or even canned fruit in syrup. I'd be more worried about your bottles being less carbed if you use priming sugar.

Don't cover your pot! Out with the steam evaporating go the DMS precursors- which means that steam that drips back into the pot can cause some vegetal flavors. You can cover it to bring it to a boil on your burner if you have to but have to, but then take the cover off and leave it off!

But as far as the beer and OG are concerned now, a .005 difference is really nothing much. That's a bit less than .6% ABV, really not much in the scheme of things. The oranges will provide more sugars, also, so you'll actually be OVER the targeted ABV when it's over. The only thing you may notice is a slightly watered down beer, since it's got more water in it. But carbonation and flavor may cover that anyway.

Ok... Couple of things.... One, RDWHAHB... Your beer is fine. You are roughly looking at a 4.3% ABV which is still well with in range for a Belgian wheat beer. Secondly. there is a reason why you don't cover it while you boil... There are compounds from the wort that taste bad that can be evaporated from the wort, but if you cover it, they condense and fall back in the wort... So, my advice, leave it alone... It will be fine, but learn from these mistakes and go on and brew better beers... If you boil to much water off, you can always add water after the boil...

Don't cover your pot! Out with the steam evaporating go the DMS precursors- which means that steam that drips back into the pot can cause some vegetal flavors. You can cover it to bring it to a boil on your burner if you have to but have to, but then take the cover off and leave it off!

But as far as the beer and OG are concerned now, a .005 difference is really nothing much. That's a bit less than .6% ABV, really not much in the scheme of things. The oranges will provide more sugars, also, so you'll actually be OVER the targeted ABV when it's over. The only thing you may notice is a slightly watered down beer, since it's got more water in it. But carbonation and flavor may cover that anyway.

Good to hear. Won't be covering anymore.

Did you start with a little more than six gallons of water and then add the LME? If so you likely had closer to 7 gallons of liquid in the pot.

Did you start with a little more than six gallons of water and then add the LME? If so you likely had closer to 7 gallons of liquid in the pot.

Yup, I'm realizing all of this now. It was my third batch ever, and my first full boil. I won't be making these mistakes again. I'm hoping that it turns out OK after adding the oranges, and I just end up with extra beer.

I won't be making these mistakes again.

Why not? Do you really think all the rest of us learn from our mistakes and never do them again? We gotta try them 2 or 3 times before it sinks in that we had made a mistake and our beer wasn't supposed to taste this way. :cross:

Good to hear. Won't be covering anymore.

Fortunately, those compounds aren't really a problem with extracts. It's still good practice for the future though

Also, I don't think the oranges will add any appreciable amount to your ABV unless they're dried. otherwise, they're probably adding more water than the little amount of sugar (which is about 4-5ppg)

Could he add a little dried malt extract when he adds the oranges? That should bump up the gravity a little bit and make the beer a little fuller right?

Could he add a little dried malt extract when he adds the oranges? That should bump up the gravity a little bit and make the beer a little fuller right?

This is what I was thinking. I have about a half pound of Pilsner DME that I could use, but I figured it would need to be boiled first.

Honestly I wouldn't add dme. just enjoy your sessionable Wit beer. If you plan on adding the blood oranges then yes the yeast will attack the sugars in them and will bring your ABV up some.

Back