Chocolate Stout: The Reckoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I'm currently looking ahead to brews I intend to do in the late winter and spring. Specifically, I'm attempting to formulate a recipe for a Chocolate Stout I want to unviel and serve at my friends' St. Patty's day party this year. In doing so I'm really looking to make a chocolate stout very closely along the lines of Young's Double Chocolate Stout as opposed to the Brooklyn Brewery one.

In doing this I found the following link:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15820

It seems there are several thoughts on the chocolate stout. I guess what I'm asking is, how did these come out? I'm assuming Mriswith,Debtman7, and Brewtopia's brews must all be ready to drink at this point in time. How did these come out? Would you say any of them really came close to Young's or were they quite different. I just really want a brew that both myself and my friends can enjoy. I feel that something similar to Young's would be easily drinkable by the masses. Thanks!
-Ben

My Chocolate Stout came out great. I am not a big fan of the sweeter English style stouts so the base recipe I used was for a Dry Irish Style Stout. I also added 4 0z. of fresh crushed cocoa beans from a local gourmet chocolate factory. This gave the beer more of a nutty roasted chocolate flavor as opposed to straight forward sweet chocolate. One of the better stouts I've tried IMHO.

i just brewed the original recipe yesterday with a few tweaks(1/2 lb wheat malt,
4 oz aromatic malt,4 oz carafoam) i used 11 lbs 2 row as i am all grain instead of the extract and ended up with a sg of 1.054 and it smelled goood.
let you know the result in january.

Latest posts

Back