Lagering While Labs Cream Ale Yeast Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgreen4242

Reaction score
I'm working on a cream ale right now and my LHBS recommended White Labs Cream Ale Yeast Blend (WLP080) as opposed to a package of ale and one of lager yeast. Took him at his word (although I did realize the yeast is a week past its best by date... to late now, wort is chilling as I type) and I'm trying it out.

Anyways, White Labs says the optimum temp for this yeast is 65-70*, so I figure I will do it for a week at around 65* and then lager it at around 38-40* for a month. Will my yeast survive? Anyone use this stuff before? Should I re-pitch some yeast on bottling day? Any advice?

Thanks!

It should be fine, but I would ferment it for more than a week. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks. Just make sure you hit FG.

What temp were you going to ferment using 1 ale and 1 lager yeast?

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to watch the gravity carefully before I start lagering. I was planning on refrigerator temps, around 38*. Is that too cold, do you think?

Lagering is usually around 33-34*, but I'm not sure what lagering will do to ale yeast. I force carb all mine.

Back