Bulk Malt in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took advantage of Kegconnection's Black Friday sale. Managed to get their starter kit along with an extra keg and an upgrade to a 10lb CO2 tank for about the same cost as their regular starter kit price.

I went by Rocky Mountain Brewery today to get the ingredients for a batch, and asked about the price for a 50# bag. It was like $67, which isn't great compared to the price you guys got.

I mentioned the bulk buy you guys did, and one of the employees said that they don't care if you bring in your own grain to mill there in the store, which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, I guess if you're in the Springs and you want to take part in the next bulk buy, lack of a mill isn't a issue anymore. Heck, I'll still be going there to buy my specialty grains if I do take part in it next time.

Mike, Et al-

I will prob not be in any future Denver/Front Range buys, unless I just happen to be there like last time, but I think you guys should just revive this thread when people start needing 2 row. We are getting a club together here in Durango and have already talked to some of the Pagosa hb club members about a spring buy.

Good Luck!

I have to agree! I missed out on this one, and even if I knew about it before hand, I probably would have passed because I didn't think I had a way to mill the grain. Since that problem is solved, I'll definitely be interested in the next one.

I'd definitely be in for the next group buy. I just check out their website and it looks like they added malted white and red wheat as well.

I went by Rocky Mountain Brewery today to get the ingredients for a batch, and asked about the price for a 50# bag. It was like $67, which isn't great compared to the price you guys got.

I mentioned the bulk buy you guys did, and one of the employees said that they don't care if you bring in your own grain to mill there in the store, which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, I guess if you're in the Springs and you want to take part in the next bulk buy, lack of a mill isn't a issue anymore. Heck, I'll still be going there to buy my specialty grains if I do take part in it next time.

Mike, you can buy a 50# sack direct from Colorado Malting for $50 (full price) and Jason will meet you in the Springs to deliver it. I'll still support the LHBS here with my occasional specialty grain purchases, but my 2-row dollars are going direct to CMC. I just can't see spending ~30% more for the exact same sack of grain.

I'm going to send CMC an email suggesting that they give some more info on their website about the red and white wheat.

Mike, you can buy a 50# sack direct from Colorado Malting for $50 (full price) and Jason will meet you in the Springs to deliver it. I'll still support the LHBS here with my occasional specialty grain purchases, but my 2-row dollars are going direct to CMC. I just can't see spending ~30% more for the exact same sack of grain.

I'm going to send CMC an email suggesting that they give some more info on their website about the red and white wheat.

Really? They will deliver a 50# sack for $50? That's pretty cool! Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what would you make with red or white wheat?

I'll definitely continue to support the LHBS, pretty much everything I buy is going to come from there. Once I figure out what I'm brewing this year I may start picking up some hops from hop direct, but there's no way I'll be picking up all of my supplies online.

Jason from CMC is supposed to be bringing me 5lbs of red and white wheat next time he comes through Durango. I plan on a 40% red wheat, 40% 2 row, 20% rye wheat beer before the end of the month. I have made a wheat like this with white wheat malt but I want to see what this comes out like!

I will be in the metro area again in mid April for a few days, so if you guys have another buy before then let me know and I will send someone some money to pick up and hold mine if possible. I think I have about 30lbs left but I will basically quit brewing after Jan is over, so it will prob last.

In response to "ram the buffs" question about the quality of this grain, I just entered a "cascade blonde" that used 9.5lbs of CMC 2 row and no other grains into the SKA Pro am Homebrew Comp this past weekend and won a gold in the light hybrid catagorey.

In response to "ram the buffs" question about the quality of this grain, I just entered a "cascade blonde" that used 9.5lbs of CMC 2 row and no other grains into the SKA Pro am Homebrew Comp this past weekend and won a gold in the light hybrid catagorey.

Congrats! I had heard others say it was a good product earlier in the thread, but a Gold Medal should also help to relieve any fears.

Peter, I brewed a 10 gallon batch with all CMC grains - 10lbs 2 row, 5lbs red wheat, 5lbs white wheat....only been in the bottle about 8 days but the wife and I split one yesterday to see how it was coming along.....obviously not much head on it yet, pours slightly cloudy (now anyway) but I expect that from my American Wheats, taste great so far.....it ended up being 6.0%, but you cant tell...light on the palate with a nice aftertaste that stciks around for 15-20 seconds.

Alright, thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be in for picking up a bag of wheat along with a bag of 2-row. If no one else wants to do a group buy again I'll just order them myself. I work right next to Park Meadows mall so it shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

$#!+, I just found this site or I'd have been in on the last order...

Sounds like there might be another one "brewing" for April?
:tank:

Ok, well lets plan this for April. I know I will want 2 sacks and I have a fellow brew buddy who will probably want one or two. I work very close to park meadows mall where the drop off happened last time, so it wont be a problem for me.

Grimtas and DurangohomebrewMafia made all the arrangments for the last buy. Are you guys still interested in another buy?

Lackey-

If we get over 1000lbs it was .65 per lb, or $32.50 per sack.... I sent him an email to see what his Denver travel schedule was like for April....I am in town from the 16th-20th or so....it doesnt have to be then, but I may have to hand the coordination off to someone else. Let's see what he has to say. Also, I'll prob start a new Denver Bulk Grain thread then we can get everyones orders.

Chris,

Thanks for looking into this. If you need any help with the buy, I will be willing to help.

Wayne

I'll probably pass this time. I've only been able to do two brews since I bought the last sack and will be moving in May to another house.

Ed Wort's Haus Pale is damned nice with this malt.

Latest posts

Back