Did I get sick from Shock Top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
Hello all,

First let me preface this with my choices were Bud Light, Bud Heavy, or Shock Top...This may be a stupid question, but here it goes: I have been cooped up in my house all day as I was "open at both ends" all night last night. I have ruled out all meals that I had yesterday as the people I dined with ate the exact same things and no one else got sick. I did however have 2 Shock Tops at the hotel my parents were staying at. There was an orange slice (i know, i know) in each beer I drank too. Is it possible that I got sick off a bad batch of beer, the fruit, or was it simply just a 24hr bug completely unrelated to the beer at all?

Anyone experience this before with Shock Top or any other belgian-style beer?

Thanks in advance!

**Also - i guess it's important to state that I am NOT a lightweight in the slightest sense of the term. So it wasnt like I was sauced off 2.

sorry but you have swine flu now and you must die!!! j/k man that sucks its been a while since that has happend to me (open at both ends) well i hope you feel better...im glade it not me:D

I did have salad, but so did everyone else. The same salad at that.

Thanks Walenutz, I am feeling better already but I feel like I was run over from all the "calling of dinosaurs." Regardless of if it was was the beer or not, I am never drinking that garbage again. It wasnt that good and certainly not worth the last 24hr sickfest.

One of the reasons people drank beer and wine instead of water for hundreds/thousands of years is because it's very hard for pathogens to survive in it.

Most cases like that are from eating unwashed, uncooked vegetables or fruits. So I'd say either the salad or the orange slices. And just because others didn't get sick doesn't mean anything. It might be something they've already caught and have developed a tolerance for.

The beer was probably trying to cure you from the oranges but just didn't have enough alcohol. ;) (Sorry you got sick.)

Could have been something on the orange, or I've "heard" of people getting sick off dried dish soap that was still in the glass.

Note: I've "heard" no actual experience.

I drank Shock Top -once- when we were in Orlando last year and it was the best of a bad lot on draft at our "Diz" hotel. I didn't find it offensive, but it woudn't be anything I'd drink if I had a choice of any micro or craft beer I can think of- or certainly my own homebrew, for that matter.

I doubt if it made you sick; all it did was make me go "meh."

I drank a pitcher of shocktop last week... beer and tacos at the local shop. Different than my usual $7 pitcher of amberbock and 1 or 2 carne asada tacos on corn tortillas ($1.50/taco).

No problems from the beer here. No oranges either.

I've never had a problem drinking shock top. It was probably the oranges. I work as a bartender and I know sanitation with some people can be an issue. Bar fruit can be kind of gross actually and I refrain from it. It could even be from an improperly washed glass if you drank your beer like that.

I agree that it most likely was the food you ate. Simply having the same thing to eat as everyone else dosen't mean that it could not have been the food. Obviously, not all pieces of undercooked meat will make you sick but some will. I myself have become very sick from eating oranges when I was in high school at my friends house. I had to immediately drive home after throwin up everywhere in his bathroom. When I got home I got accused non-stop by my parents of becoming sick from drinking when all I had done was watch Conan with my buddy and ate two oranges. Yeah it was not fun throwing up and I wish I could have at least drank if I was going to get blamed for it. I would think undercooked meat is more likely the culprit but personal experience tells me oranges can do it too.

Back