Liquid Yeast--Do Kits in Sequence or Split Yeast Pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two kits I plan to do in sequence over the next little while--a Festa Brew brown ale, and a Festa Brew double oatmeal stout. If you're not familiar with these kits a few details can be found at:

Magnotta::Festa Brew::Search Result

Anyway, I wanted to try these kits with liquid yeast so picked up a pack of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I was told I could "split" the pack between the two kits (i.e. use half now with whichever kit I do first and keep half refrigerated for a week or so until I start the next one), or do the two in sequence, i.e. start the brown ale now then capture the yeast when fermentation is complete and re-use it for the stout.

Which of these two options is the best idea? Or...should I have gotten a different liquid yeast for the brown ale (perhaps the Wyeast 1028 London Ale or 1056 American Ale)?

Splitting the yeast between the two will give you two batches with yeast starting out at a disadvantage.

Brewing one and then repitching the yeast in the second will give you one batch with normal yeast and another batch with pumped up, ready to rock-and-roll yeast.

Or make a couple of starters from the one pack. It'll last in the fridge long enough.

Thanks for the responses...if I "brew & re-pitch", does that mean just dump the new wort on top of whatever is left in my primary after I rack to the secondary?

What's the best way to "start" a starter? I'll poke around the forum for detailed instructions but if anyone wants to help me out it's much appreciated!

I would smack the Wyeast pack, wait for it to rise and then make the Brown Ale (just pitch in the yeast). After a week or two rack that into a secondary and pitch the Stout right onto the yeast pancake in the primary.

Always go from lighter to heavier beers like this when using yeast slurry.

You could also split the 1084 into 3 or 4 by making a starter and then splitting it. Actually that's what I do and then pitch one of the 3 to do the 2 batches like I mentioned above. Gives you 6 batches out of 1 Wyeast smackpack.

Kal

Months. Grow the starter, then stick it in the fridge. Decant off the spent wort after the yeast settles. Take it out when you start brewing so it can warm up to room temp, suspend by swirling and pitch.

so a day or two after I put it in the fridge and the yeast settles I should get rid of most of the liquid? I can store it like that for months?

Latest posts

Back