Jaspers Old Nebbercracker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanezgfx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed the Jaspers Old Nebbercracker last week and it's fermenting away. My question for those who brewed it is about the spice potion. It's quite cup of vodka, 2 cinnamon sticks, some ginger and orange peel.
Did you use the entire potion? Seems like a lot and I read some amazon reviews that you should cut it about in half, so just curious what anyone else did.

I'm planning on bottling tomorrow. I think im just going to dump it all in and see how it turns out. I'll report back in a couple weeks.

Well, I dumped the whole mess into the fermenter on Monday night and bottled last night. Very strong orange scent, not much cinnamon or ginger (pretty happy it didn't smell too gingery) but bottled it all up.
I'll give it a few weeks and see if I can get my hands on some Old Fezziwig for a comparison.

I just brewed this kit this past Saturday and it is still bubbling away every couple of seconds. I also plan on putting the whole potion in. I plan on two weeks in primary and then bottle. Will be three weeks bottle conditioned by Christmas so I hope to enjoy the first bottle on Xmas day. Anxious to see how this will taste seeing that I am new to homebrewing and this is only my second batch. Let me know how yours tastes. Cheers. Jasper's was great to deal with. Being new I called and also emailed with questions and they answered everything and were very helpful

Well I cracked one open last night and compared it with an Old Fezziwig. Mine was in the fridge for about 5 days. Color was similar, mine was but darker. Both smell similarly spicy. Mine had a slight banana hint Prolly due to fluctuating fermentation Temps. The spices are not overpowering at all in the Nebbercracker, so I recommend using the whole potion.
Not sure why these pics are sideways but I'll try to fix.
Well see how/if the beer improves over time. Plan on giving some out at Christmas.

*EDIT*
The Nebbercracker is on the right, Fezziwig on left.

View attachment 1450192747016.jpg

View attachment 1450192755784.jpg

What temps did you ferment at? I was able to keep my ambient at a steady 64-66. I bottled mine on dec 6th and tried the first one after seven days in the bottle. It was actually carbonated pretty good and poured with a little head. Tasted great for being so young and can't wait for a couple more weeks of aging. Mine too was not overly spicy so I suggest just sticking with the potion recipe as is. Have never had old fezziwig but want to get a hold of one to do a compare. I am very happy with the taste and progress so far with this recipe. Didn't notice any banana flavor in mine. Yeast used was safale s-04. What yeast did you use?

I used the S-04 as well.
When i poured the wort into the fermenter, the temp was a little low, probably around 55 or so, then i left for the weekend and couldn't monitor it, but have a sneaking suspicion it went up around 70F. For the next 2 weeks in the fermenter, it stayed around 66-68, maybe the off flavor was just from it being young. They've been in the bottles for about 3 weeks now and I've just had the one. I'll try another tonight or tomorrow and see how it is. Its pretty solid so far though. Gave my wife the option for the Fezziwig or the homebrew and surprisingly, she chose the Nebbercracker.
I recommend!

I will update when mine hit three weeks in the bottle. I know I'm going to get impatient and have a few before then seeing that I think it tasted great after only one week. Trying to get my wife to switch to beer so that this new hobby gets her blessing. Haha.

Latest posts

Back