Brett Festival Amsterdam 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
This weekend is the 2nd annual 'Carnivale brettanomyces en andere wilde dieren' (brett and other wild beasts) mini-festival organized by the Bier Koning bottle shop in amsterdam.
https://wildegist.jux.com
schedule on the website. it features talks on wild homebrewing and a seminar by frank boon (of boon lambic fame) and rob pattinson (shut up about barclay perkins), and lots of bretty and sour beers at a couple of local establishments. in the final event open to the public a few homebrewers are serving brett/wild/sour beers at brouwerij de prael, saturday 7-11 pm. i will have two beers on tap, one a 100% brett brux based on the yakobson farmhouse ale recipe found online, and one brett trois ipa based on some of the ideas in the trois thread here (my first trois brew ever! don't tell anyone). if by chance any of you is in the neighborhood, stop by! i am "brouwerij de kromme haring".
cheers

dinnerstick said:
This weekend is the 2nd annual 'Carnivale brettanomyces en andere wilde dieren' (brett and other wild beasts) mini-festival organized by the Bier Koning bottle shop in amsterdam.
https://wildegist.jux.com
schedule on the website. it features talks on wild homebrewing and a seminar by frank boon (of boon lambic fame) and rob pattinson (shut up about barclay perkins), and lots of bretty and sour beers at a couple of local establishments. in the final event open to the public a few homebrewers are serving brett/wild/sour beers at brouwerij de prael, saturday 7-11 pm. i will have two beers on tap, one a 100% brett brux based on the yakobson farmhouse ale recipe found online, and one brett trois ipa based on some of the ideas in the trois thread here (my first trois brew ever! don't tell anyone). if by chance any of you is in the neighborhood, stop by! i am "brouwerij de kromme haring".
cheers

This is awesome! I'm about half a world away but I'm adding this to my bucket list!

Congrats on getting a couple beers on tap!

thanks! i'll report back on the talks and workshops. looks set to be a success so i think it will be back next year

beer list! (descriptions in dutch but largely legible)
http://www.bierkoning.nl/wp-content/uploads/bierlijst.jpg

941784_581972018492362_1774278696_n.jpg

an interesting festival. tried some good beers, and some really unpleasant ones! highlights were ron pattinson's talk with accompanying beers; aged stouts with and without brett, history of brett in aged and unaged english ales in the 18th to 21st centuries, revival of a pale ale recipe with brett that was then brewed by the old dairy brewery and presented at the talk, by the brewer. cool. and some stouts from the early 90's (that's 1990's). there was a lambic workshop with tastings of different ages of mort subite right from the tanks, from 5 months to 3+ years, and then a gueuze from the brewery (mostly they make sweetened stuff but also sometimes the real deal) and a homemade blend from a few lambics. there was a home-lambic workshop where the guy ferments in brand new 20L oak barrels, with the result being something between chugging nail polish remover, sucking used tea bags, and a kick in the balls. not nice. but in the homebrewer session there was a dude who makes lots of different spontaneous brews of very high quality, some many-year old lambics, a gueuze with some 20 year old in there, a flemish brown, a black currant kriekish thing, etc. we were serving next to each other so drank freely from each others supply. and i got very good feedback on my beers from brewers and beer nerds. yeah! over at the beer temple, italian brewery loverbeer had some really interesting wine inspired brews, one where local grapes were crushed and started to ferment naturally, then a pale ale wort was thrown in and fermented out. some other mildly grapey barrel ferments, delicious. and their brewer was kicking around and a really nice chap, honest and modest. and struise brouwers brewery from (oostvleteren, as in east vleteren, next to west vleteren... maybe there's something in vleteren air) belgium had a flemish brown that made me want to self harm since i'll never make anything that good. it was almost worth listening to the brewer's dull 15 minute speech to get some. sweet, sour, complex, body, was great. and a challenging sour stout from jester king was hanging around on tap as well. first sip was disagreeable. by the end of the glass i was won over. tried a few mostly unfortunate experiments where people buy lambic, and blend it with their own beer, ipa or whatever. hmm... interesting for a minute but i kind of ask myself why. finally small new dutch brewers oersoep had some outstanding all-brett beers, one with nelson and one with pureed apricot, tangy and fresh. i didn't get to try old dairy's beers other than the pattinson one, too bad... and missed a few others i wanted to try but you can only be in one place at a time it turns out, either that or my mastery of warp space-time warping is lacking.

awesome report, sounds like it was a good festival. thanks for letting us know!

homebrewed sours are always iffy... i recently came back from the National Homebrewers Conference in Philadelphia and sours were a gamble there too. some were superb while others not so much. back in the day, if you fermented too warm all of a sudden people would declare it a belgian. nowadays, brew a bad beer with lack of sanitation and all of a sudden it's a "sour" :drunk:

and a challenging sour stout from jester king was hanging around on tap as well. first sip was disagreeable. by the end of the glass i was won over.

Funk Metal Stout. Amazingly delicious, and local for me. I can't get enough of this beer.

Some interesting details about how funk metal is made on the Sunday session show Jester King did a while back.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/jester-king-on-the-brewing-network-s-sunday-session

Talking with Jester King recently I've been told they no longer need to blend with the second all Brett beer but just leave some of the previous batch in the barrel and then add young beer.

awesome report, sounds like it was a good festival. thanks for letting us know!

homebrewed sours are always iffy... i recently came back from the National Homebrewers Conference in Philadelphia and sours were a gamble there too. some were superb while others not so much. back in the day, if you fermented too warm all of a sudden people would declare it a belgian. nowadays, brew a bad beer with lack of sanitation and all of a sudden it's a "sour" :drunk:

yeah. i'm all for experimenting but re-classifying the beer as an attempt to apologize for your infection... don't make me drink it!

i need to get to an nhc conference!

Funk Metal Stout. Amazingly delicious, and local for me. I can't get enough of this beer.

yep that was the stuff! i got the impression that just one more grain of roast would have pushed it over the line, but the roast character was just subtle enough to complement the sour. thanks for the bn link, now that you mention it i listened to that episode but forgot about that beer completely.

I COMPLETELY forgot... cantillon saint lamvinus on tap at In De Wildeman!!! on man was this good. i drank a lot of it. it wasn't cheap but i can't think of many better ways to spend my money

Brettanomyces Festival 2014 is on, this weekend! I'm serving 2 beers, a 3.8% abv summer session ale, 100% brett brux trois with el dorado and cascade, and a 6% flemish style red ale, which is a 2 year old wyeast roeselare ferment blended with a younger all-sacc beer and a sour mash ale. if anyone is in the neighborhood stop by brouwerij de prael saturday 28 june from 14:00!! My beers are brouwerij de Kromme Haring and I will be the server.
www.wildegist.nl

Back