Soldering Wires to Auber Panel Mount Connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
UGH, what a PITA!!!

Before I drive myself crazy, does anyone have any suggestions as to an easy way to solder/connect the thin RTD wires to the panel mount connectors sold through Auber?

The solder tabs on the connectors are thin blades with no hole for wire insertion. I cant imagine how I'm going to solder these up with only two hands...???

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan, Put the blade of the connecter in a pair of vise grip pliers. That leaves you one hand for the solder and the other for the iron.

Support the vise grips with two full 12 oz bottles of home brew and drink after soldering!! :D

I don't know what those thin blades look like (pic?), but maybe you should just crimp a faston connector onto the wire.

izolovane_faston_kablovske_papucice_zenske.jpg

It is a pain I agree :p I used those and to make things worse, I had to do it with the connectors mounted in the box.
Here's how I had most success:
Apply solder to iron, coat wire with solder. Now hold the wire against the concave side of the pin, and heat the other side of the pin with the iron, carefully. It should melt in the wire and attach to the pin.

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to try a hybrid of all your advice. First thing is to remove them from the panel. I'll then clamp them into a vise, tin both the blade and the wire and then solder together.

I would love to use crimp connectors, but the pins are just too small...

It would be nice to be able to make a more mechanical connection other than than solder alone, but in this case the pins are just too small.

Seems I've saved best for last! Will report back with results later today.

Thanks,

Bryan

You got it right - Tin both, heat together, repeat.

The fun part isn't soldering the wires to the QD pins, it's getting that damned cable grip together! I wound up flipping both little plates over to get it small enough to grip the RTD wires!

PITA

What a great little connector though! :mug:

The wire they provide is 2 reds and a white wire and the pins in their connectors are all numbered 1, 2 & 3.

Stupid question, does it matter which is white, or if the reds cross and connect from 2 on one connector to 3 on the other?

Stupid question #2, do the wires from the RTDs need to connect to the pid in a certain order (I'm thinking hot, neutral, ground).

The wire they provide is 2 reds and a white wire and the pins in their connectors are all numbered 1, 2 & 3.

Stupid question, does it matter which is white, or if the reds cross and connect from 2 on one connector to 3 on the other?

Stupid question #2, do the wires from the RTDs need to connect to the pid in a certain order (I'm thinking hot, neutral, ground).

The pins in the connector don't matter at all. Just as long as the wires wind up on the correct terminal at the PID.

#2 - Yes, they do. And I can't remember how it went... I'll have to look. (I had to get updated instructions from Auber to get that figured out myself)

Edit - Found it:
RTD.JPG

Here's a link to their "New" instructions

I found this easy to do.

The pins on the connector are kind of "U" shaped if you look at them from the end. I put the thing in a vice, heated the pins with my iron and filled them with solder.

Then I laid the wires on top of them and heated the pin up. The solder re-melted and surrounded the wires.

Took about 30 seconds to solder all three of them on.

Also, it does not matter which wire you soldered to which pin.

I didn't even bother checking wire colors when I put mine all together. I bought a probe that essentially had no cable on it, spliced it to a piece of old phone line, soldered that to the connector, and soldered more of it to the other part of the connector.

There are 3 wires, so there are only 6 ways you can connect them to the PID. and only 2 of those 6 will work. I just cycled through the options until the PID started displaying something other than EEEE, screwed them down, and closed the panel up.

:) I actually have a small vice meant for electronics and other tiny tinkering work. It looks like a teeny bench vice that suction cups to a flat surface to hold it steady.

Dumb question. I'm not having a problem soldering the small pins in the socket, but I can't figure out how to open the plug to solder longer leads onto a plug.

Helpful thread. The blob of solder on the contact method works great.

1. Hold iron to contact
2. Hold solder to contact and deposit blob
3. Hold wire to blob
4. Hold iron to contact
5. Remove iron and keep hold on wire until solder cools

This is the hard part in my experience. If there is tension on the wire and the solder melts again, it will pull away from the contact. I like to get a little more solder on so I arrange the wire so that there is slack and no tension on the contact. Then I try and get a couple more drops of solder on top of the wire just to make sure it has good contact.

Then I cleanup any solder in or around the contacts and threads of the connnector. It should just chip off with your fingernail. I wrap all three contacts in a short length of shrink tube, and then bundle all 3 in a larger piece of shrink tube. Love these connectors from Auber!

Back