8 Gallon megapot... big enough for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
Is it big enough for 5 gallon ag batches? I just got ordered mine and as usual, I am regretting not going bigger. :confused:

I like to make bigger beers, which require more sparge water, which requires longer boils. I usually lose close to 2 gallons on a 60 minute boil, ~3 for 90. Depending on your boil off rate, you may lose a bit of efficiency if you cant sparge enough. You should be fine with 8gallons though. Look into foam control drops for those close ones, and it will make a fine HLT in 6 months when you get a bigger kettle :)

I just thought of this, is it possible to add water to boil to help compensate for loss or just add it at the end to the primary?

I started all grain full boils with an 8 gallon kettle and I still use it. I have a Dremel etched mark in the kettle at the 7 gallon mark and the 5.5 mark.

It works fine as long as you are there to watch for boil overs. As soon as you leave it, it will boil over. :D

With fermcap or one of the other foam control products you can NEARLY fill your brew kittle and not have boilovers. I've filled a pot to nearly a half inch below the lip and all was well.

For the kettle you use 2 drops/gallon of liquid.

Fermcap-S.jpg

An anti-foam agent that can be used during fermentation to eliminate messy blowoff. As soon as fermentation is over, this insoluble compound settles out and remains behind when the beer is racked. It will not affect the finished beers flavor, appearance or head retention. Can also be added during the boil to reduce the risk of boilovers. Use a few drops per gallon for boil, or two drops per gallon for fermentation. Comes in a four ounce eyedropper bottle. Keep refrigerated until use.

Back