Mini Mash - missed OG........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamdad

Reaction score
Hey Y'all.

I just brewed up a AHS Creamy Smoked Amber Ale mini-mash kit today and my target OG was supposed to be 1.055, however I ended up w/ a 1.042 @ 78°F. Oh boy.

The only hiccup I had in the whole process was that during the mash when I accidently let the temp get up to almost 170°F while trying to keep the ideal 155°F in my stockpot. Now I see the wisdom of using a cooler as a mash-tun. However, everything else went great (Got to use my brand new immersion chiller - sooo nice!:rockin:).

There is a chance that I got a false reading due to incomplete mixing/aeration. I stirred 'er like the devil before pitching, so I'm dubious of that.

Could my little mashing mishap have caused the lighter gravity? I'm not terribly worried about it, just looking for some education. I figure the worst that could happen is that my brew won't be as strong as the target AC.

I can post the recipe if needed, but I don't know if its a AHS proprietary thing, and I'd rather not have Forrest bent at me.

Since, in mini-mash kits, roughly half of your fermentables are supposed to come from the mash, I'd be willing to bet that you stopped the starch conversion too soon, or you didn't sparge the grains completely. But as you say, it will still be beer. :)

Latest posts

Back