Bayou Classic Kettle + Weldless Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr82

Reaction score
Looking to get a 44 Qt Bayou Classic kettle setup to eventually start doing BIAB. I want to add the weldless bulkhead and ball valve, but can anyone comment as to whether I need a diptube as well? Thanks.

I have this exact setup (fittings from Bargain Fittings), but I do AG. In my opinion, the dip tube isn't necessarily a must, but could be an option if you like. I put a bazooka tube on mine, just for the hell of it. I like it because it filters out a good part of any gunk at the bottom when I drain. Depending on my final volume, if I need to get it all, I'll just tip the kettle on its side.

One thing to keep in mind with a dip tube, if youre throwing your hops directly in, you might clog the dip tube when you're draining. I use hop bags for all my additions, mainly for easy cleanup, but coupled with the bazooka tube, I think it makes for a smooth process.

You dont "need" a diptube for anything. You can put an elbow on there which puts the inside pickup closer to the bottom, or you can get the street elbow + side pickup diptube if you whirlpool... it all depends on how you intend to use it.

Thanks for the feedback. For now I think I'll just go without it for now and add it later if deemed necessary.

Latest posts

Back