Pepper taste in brews following a jalapeno cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski8986

Reaction score
I brewed a jalapeño cream ale a couple months ago and after that I brewed an esb and a cream ale . Both the cream ale and the esb have a slight pepper taste in them. Has anyone had this issue before? I would imagine its from the plastic pieces of my equipment .

I'm sure the plastic is holding the flavor. I have plastic containers in my kitchen that impart chili flavors to just about anything I store in them (so now I only store chili in them).

Do you think this will diminish over time ? Or should I go ahead and replace all plastic pieces and use the others for pepper beers only?

Maybe try soaking them in unscented oxyclean overnight and see if they still have a slight smell of pepers too them.

Everything that I used in the brew was soaked in pbw or oxy clean. I don't remember which I used over night. Maybe I will try and do a longer soak with a stronger mixture.

Back