Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edthefox

Reaction score
NB Cream Ale 2 weeks old tomorrow.

image-1497633485.jpg

No I doesn't to me looks like yeast rafts and hop particles and some fermentation that isn't complete,how does it smell?if it smells like beer you should be ok.

Well, this is my conundrum... I'm leaving town Sunday morning and I'm not sure how long I will be gone. It could be one to three weeks. My plans were to check it again today and if the gravity is stable, cold crash and keg. That way it'll be ready to drink when I get back. (whenever that may be)

I'm fermenting in my chest freezer at 67~68 degrees. OG was 1.046 13 days ago. Two days ago it looked similar just without the white specks. Gravity reading measured 1.010 four days ago and 1.008 two days ago.

I saw that white crap and panicked so I haven't got my reading for today.

What would you do?

1.008? I'd rack it to a keg and throw it back in your chest freezer at the same temp. Your keg will act like a secondary and if it does drop a couple more points, you end up with some natural carbonation and won't need as much co2 to finish the job when you get back.

Absolutely nothing! If it's an infection, which it's not, it's already funky. If it's wonderful happy beer, the yeast have no problem hanging out for a PROLONGED period if time while you do what you need to do. Seriously, the beer can hang out in primary for longer than your patience will tolerate. Let it hang out, and bottle when you can. for a cream ale, it will actually clarify more with an additional week out two.

Back