Secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
Hello all,

What exactly goes on in a secondary fermentation? What does it accomplish and what style of beers benefit the most from it? I've noticed some recipes call for it and some say go straight to priming and bottling and don't give a clear reason why.

Thanks,

MC

Secondary is for clearing, dry hopping or adding fruits and things.

It was recommended back in the day when yeast was not as great as it is today (due to autolysis), but is usually not recommended anymore.

I'll also add that secondary is good for when you need the space in your primary as well. I moved my first beer (brewer's best koeslch) to a secondary after 10 days because I needed my primary to brew a second beer. I'm actually going to just go buy another primary this weekend so I can brew yet another batch... damn this hobby!!!

I've been doing the primary only thing since the beginning,save for one batch where I racked onto some bourbon soaked oak chips. The beer should always be at a stable FG before racking to a secondary for fruit additions,oak & Dry hopping is easy to do in primary as well.

AmandaK said:
Secondary is for clearing, dry hopping or adding fruits and things.

It was recommended back in the day when yeast was not as great as it is today (due to autolysis), but is usually not recommended anymore.

Exactly. If you choose to secondary, wait until primary fermentation has stopped. (Use a hydrometer, and use good sanitation practices, and you'll have no problems.)

Been brewing 10 years. These days, I only secondary when I'm dry hopping. Many dry hop in the primary, but I feel that the brightness isn't as pronounced - perhaps some is absorbed by the trub. So, primary for me (4 weeks min) before anything else. Secondaries only for dry hopping.

Great tips. What are everbody's thoughts on splitting a 5 gal. batch for secondary so that 2.5 gal. stays in the original 6.5 gal. carboy and 2.5 gal. is transferred to a 3 gal. carboy?

1. Is there now too much "headspace" or oxygen in the original carboy?

2. Is there enough room in the 3 gal. carboy for secondary activity?

Back