Rye IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65
Tasting Notes
This is the best IPA I have ever had. Not too bitter and slap of citrus, piney hops
12lbs 2-row
2lbs Rye Malt
1lb Cara-pils
12oz Crystal 15
8oz White Wheat
8oz Crystal 60
1lb Turbinado 30 min
3.50oz Columbus 13.9% @ 90min
.75oz Columbus 13.9% @45min
1oz Simcoe 12.3% @ 30min
2.50oz Simcoe 12.3% @ 0min
2oz Centennial 8% @ 0min
3oz Simcoe,Columbus,Centennial Blend (1oz ea) @ dry hop for 14 days
1.5oz Simcoe,Columbus,Centennial Blend (1/2oz ea) @ dry hop for 7 days

Add 21 qt of water at 168F for 152F
Batch Sparge with 5 gallons at 170F

The super yeast brought this down to FG in 4 days. I left it for the extra 3 to clean up after itself before racking to secondary on top of the first dry hop addition. I dry hop in a nylon bag so there is not a lot of sludge in the secondary when I rack.

The bitterness and maltyness go hand in hand, it's not that bitter. The dry hops at a candy, citrusy, piney like aroma as soon as you open the bottle (I bottled this batch). This will become a mainstay at my place.

Cheers, Enjoy!

What is the SRM? I just tried Maumee bay rye level double ipa and it was delicious, had centennial...this recipe looks close

Both are listed in recipe, but here they are again. These are beersmith calculated so by no means approximate.

SRM 10
IBU 183

I never had Maumee Bay Rye IPA, but this was delicious. Next time I brew this I'm going to cut the first Columbus addition to 2 1/2 oz. If you brew this please post back.

Cheers!

The rye is definately there and goes well with the bitterness. The rye is not overpowering and if you are a big rye fan I would bump it up to 3-3 1/2lbs of rye.

The rye is definately there and goes well with the bitterness. The rye is not overpowering and if you are a big rye fan I would bump it up to 3-3 1/2lbs of rye.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll give this a try in a month or so and report back.

And if you want to try a different hop profile, this is what I use for my non-imperial rye IPA which I thoroughly enjoy, definitely adjust to jack up the IBU's:

boil 90 mins 1.0 Warrior pellet 15.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 10 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 10.0
boil 1 min 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 2.0 Centennial pellet 10.0
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Centennial pellet 10.0

Back