Best placement for electrode on banjo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best placement for the spark electrodes on my brew stand. Every spot I've tried so far results in lots of gas flow then the big whoosh!

Curious where you all have put them on the banjo burners?

Anyone? I can't be the only one running a banjo with a BBQ spark ignition?

Sorry, by the title I thought you were wanting to place an electronic pickup on your banjo so you could plug it into an amplifier. Does your burner have a hole in the windscreen to mount an igniter? My Camp Chef has a specific spot for mounting. I use the hole with a butane stick lighter, but it's designed to accept an electronic igniter.

From HBT memeber Wayne 1:
"The problem is to get a consistent spark from the electrode to a clean ground. The cast iron burner does tend to get a layer of rust on it. The ground connection needs to be cleaned constantly. The gap from the electrode to the burner needs to be adjusted and fiddled with often. The surface of the burner needs to be clean to let the spark have something to jump to.

All in all a lot of maintenance when it is fairly easy to stick a lighter in the gap between the kettle and burner and click the lighter. You don't need the lighter to flame, just the spark works for me.

Perhaps the battery powered units with a shielded cover to contain gas would work better, but the cost of them is more than I can justify after spending close to $30.00 for a solution that didn't work. Lighters are cheap and work just fine."

Thanks for the advice. I can get a clean spark every time, but it doesn't seem to light at first, then goes with a big 'whoosh'. I just wondered if there is one spot in the burner that seems to collect gas first...

Back