Hoppy Pale Session PM Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
I have been struggling with a recipe for a hoppy pale ale partial mash and have come up with the below and a, hoping someone can critique. I love my IPAs and Pales but I need something in the 4-5% abv range.

Anyone care to comment?

Pre-Boil Volume: 7gal
Batch Volume: 5.5 gal
Eff: 72%
Est OG 1.044
Est FG 1.010
Est ABV 4.4%
IBUs 33.5
IBU/SG 0.765

3lbs Light DME 40%
2.5lbs US 2-Row 33.3%
1lbs Rye Malt 13.3%
12 oz Carapils 10%
4oz Special B 3.3%

1.2 oz Centennial 60 min 10%AA
1 oz Cascade 5.5% Whirlpool 5.5%
1 oz Citra 12% Whirlpool 5.5%
1 oz Cascade 5.5% Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Citra 12% Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Centennial 10% Dry Hop 7 Days

1 pkg US-05

Mash 7.5qt at 157.2* 60 mins
Mash Out 168* 10 mins

Any thoughts?

I really like the look of it, but never having used that much rye malt - in terms of percentage of the grist -, I'm not sure how it'll come through in a session beer. The hop profile will certainly be present and forward. Lots of NW hops. :rockin:

Are you mashing that high to make up for the low OG? I'd think that the Carapils should help with that. Personally, I'd mash a bit lower but I like my beers a touch drier. Personal preference.

In all, I think that it looks really good and would like to know how it turns out. I'm brewing with rye more often and like it a lot.

:mug:

I'd jack up the late hops if I were doing it. Maybe get some Nelson Sauvin in the mix. Rye might make it into my next hoppy session beer so let me know how it turns out for you.

Hmm I didn't put much thought to the mash temp, this is the first recipe I've used in Beersmith2 so I just used the default Mash settings. What do you think 152* or 154*?

As for the rye the research I did it seemed rye was a good idea to help balance out the mouthfeel and body with the lack of malt. I picked a percentage out of the air and loosely based it on a few similar recipes here on HBT.

As for the NZ hops, I am not familiar with them, what kind of character are we talking about here? Aroma? Dry Hop?

Thanks for the help guys.

Back