Slow to go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
Hello All!

Brewed my Belgian Wit yesturday. I poured the 63 F chilled wort into the primary, 3 gallons. I had already poured a 75 F 2 Gallons of boiled water into the primary to equal my recipe. The temp read 70 F. I pitched the provided dry yeast after rehydrating it in 80 F boiled water. I ran my aerator stone into it and ran it for half and hour. I then placed the primary in a water bath in my brew room that took the temp to 63-64 F over a few hours.

1) I have no activity as of yet. Did I shock the yeast?
2) What should I do if indeed I did shock the yeast?

It can take some time. Just relax a bit and check it tomorrow. Several things to check. Make sure your airlock is seated and your lid tight. Although this isn't a big deal (it won't hurt your ale) but it is a place where the gas can bypass the airlock and you won't see any bubbles. If you hit like the two day mark, I'd suggest gently opening the lid (don't jostle the fermentor around) and see if the Krausen has/is forming on the surface. If it has you are in good shape. If it hasn't post again and we'll take it from there.

I doubt that you shocked the yeast at those temps. First I would make sure you have a good seal on your primary lid and around the airlock. You are still under 24 hours so it not surprizing that there is not activity as yet.

Relax and have a.......

Some Belgian yeast strains really do not like temps below 65, but since you indicated it was a dried yeast, I don't think that's an issue here. I suspect it is fine.

I'm also brewing a Belgian White. I used Wyeast for mine though. I pitched it on a Tuesday night and did not notice anything until Thursday afternoon. By Friday morning it was going strong!

I checked it last night and it had a nice krausen forming at 36 hours post pitch. My next question is will the 63/64 F temp that it is fermenting at be OK.

jmjbj_h said:
I checked it last night and it had a nice krausen forming at 36 hours post pitch. My next question is will the 63/64 F temp that it is fermenting at be OK.
My Belgian did fine at 65 degrees. I had a strange second-round of fermentation that almost blew the lock off of my 6 1/2 gallon...

That was some fine krausen.

Latest posts

Back