S-189 Will you be my valentine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
Ok, I'm in love. I'm sipping my American Pils that's been lagering for exactly 1 month and I have to say that this yeast is amazing. It let every bit of those subtle Glacier hops come through and didn't make a single ester. Basically what I'm saying is that you can't taste it. Am I crazy?

Another thing I can't get over is that I pitched 12g in a 5.5 gal batch and I had krausen in less than 10 hours. It was ready for the D-rest in about 8 days on a 1.051 O.G. wort at 10 C.

This was my first time using this yeast, so totally annecdotal at this point, but I'm going to make up a slew of lawnmowers with it to get me through the summer.

Is this yeast available in 11.5g packets? I cann't find any other option than 500g pack.

With dry yeast you don't want to make a starter, just rehydrate per directions on the pack. There's plenty of cells to pitch and if you add dry yeast directly to wort without giving them a chance to rehydrate you will lose a lot of the cells.

One tiny pack with no starter or anything? I thought starters were do or die with lagers?

With liquid yeasts yea, starters are all but mandatory. With dry yeasts not really. MrMalty says that I should have used 2 12g packs, but I often chose to ignore that. In this case the result was quite nice, and considering how quickly fermentation began and finished I think my pitch rate was fine.

Back