Saison Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead10

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

New to the board, great site!

Just wondering if anyone had a Saison extract recipe they particularly liked. I am looking to make a batch for football season.

I really enjoy Saison Dupont but don't necessarily need the exact recipe. I'm looking for something to have a little bit of a hop bite, but that seems true to style. :fro:

My only issue is my small apt is set at around 70. My SO most likely won't let the temp rise to 85 for fermentation. Is this a dealbreaker? I could put it outside on my balcony but i'm sure the sunlight would affect it.

Any ideas/recipe's would be greatly appreciated.

if you put it outside all you would have to do is wrap a blanket around it. To warm it inside a lot of people use electric blankets on low.

I just bottled a Saison last night, it was a first run and wasnt quite right. I dryhopped with camomile, but I used to much, however still a good beer. I found some pretty good layouts for extract recipes here. I had the joy of using my garage to ferment, solid 80-90 for 10 days :rockin:

If you can't get the temp up, you might want to add some adj. to get the citrus and spice since you won't be getting the phenolic by products from fermenting warm.......but thats just my thought. Good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks for the rec's guys!

What do you mean by "Add some adj."? Adjunct sugars? Still kind of new to the game, what are some examples? To me it just seems like anything the yeast can feed off of, so maybe just add more of the fermentables than the recipe calls for?

Thanks.

I have a great saison recipe in my dropdown under my avitar. Feel free to use it as is or change it around to suit your tastes.

High temps aren't absolutely required for a saison. Set it in the warmest part of your apartment and it should be fine, especially if you use Wyeast 3711 yeast for it.

I meant ADJ as adjuncts such as corriander or orange peel or lemon/lime zest. If you don't achieve the flavor you are looking for the first time thru because you can't get it warm enough, you can try adding some corriander to get some spice, or orange peel to get bitter. I dont agree that it absolutely HAS to be fermented warm, but to get the true saison style, it needs to be warmer than usual. Good luck!

Here is my saison recipe I converted to a partial mash for ya.

4lb 08oz Pilsner Liquid Extract
2lb 08oz Rye Malt
1lb 00oz Orange Blossom Honey
1lb 00oz CaraRed
1lb 00oz Two-Row
1lb 00oz Munich
0lb 04oz Aromatic Malt
0lb 04oz Flaked Rye

0.50oz 60min boil Target
1.00oz 10min boil Saaz
1.00oz 10min boil Tettnang

Ferment at 68 for 6 days with WLP568 White Labs Belgian Style Saison Ale Blend. Afterwards 8 days at 78-85 F.

This beer gives a nice burnt orange color and a huge foamy pure white head with lots of lacing. It gives off lots of cloves and black pepper bordering on grains of paradise with a banana background on the nose. It goes down dry with the aftertaste of honey with that distinct spiciness of Rye, yet finishes clean like a good summer beer should. It is reasonably cloudy, but I added a whirfloc cause I wanted to clear it up a bit. Ended up in the middle.

It turned out to be a very good beer. The only real critique I got from my brew group was I should have upped the hop profile a little bit. Not to hi-jack this thread, but to do this, what would people think of a small hop tea or even a very small dry hop with say saaz, tettnang or Hallertauer?

That looks awesome KyleWolf, I just tried a Saison by widmer bros. I'll be brewing this partial mash recipe this weekend. Thanks man.

While high temps aren't necessary, they do help create some of the incredible esters from those yeasts. However, it is pretty easy to do it without sweating yourself out of your apartment! Get a big rubbermaid tub, something you can put a carboy in and then use an aquarium heater to jack the temp up. I cover mine with a few towels to keep the heat from escaping and making the heater work too hard. Also, a small aquarium pump will keep the water circulating appropriately. I got my pump for $15 at a local pet store and the pump was less than $10. So, for approx. $30 you can get the benefits of a high temp fermentation.

Just a note of warning, don't go by the scale on the heater itself. Verify the temp with your own thermometer and adjust accordingly!

Picked up my supplies today. I'm going to do a 1oz dry hop with Hallertauer during the hot portion of fermentation. I'm not sure if 1oz is enough to really do anything but I have a tendency of turning all my brews into hop monsters.

Back