Pitching Washed Yeast For Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffPhD2005

Reaction score
OK, I brewed a great Belgian Tripel and now the FG (~1.010) is right where I want it, nice and dry (OG was 1.076) but I think while in secondary the poor yeast may have been worked to death (one month in secondary).

So, I washed and harvested the yeast from primary and now have four nice pint size jars for futures Belgians but I was thinking of pitching a jar (after decanting most of the liquid) of the saved yeasties with the priming sugar and bottling.

I know we should be bottling with somewhere around 1-2 million cells/ml of brew but instead of making a starter from the refrigerated washed yeast (still will not know my yeast count), I figured to skip the whole starter step and warm up the refrigerated yeast and pitch into the bottling bucket.

BTW - I used White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale.

Any ideas or concerns with this approach?

Thanks in advance

I did the same for my Chimay clone. I decanted the fluid off the top and dumped the washed yeast into the bottom of the bottling bucket. Still took two months to fully carb, but you have to expect that with a "big" beer.

Back