What kind of beer should I start drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
Ive been on a bit of a Porter/Stout/RIS/Oatmeal Stout kick for the past three months or so, with a little bit of Belgian Trip/Dubb thrown in for variety. During the Super Bowl I realized I want a beer that is a bit more thirst quenching and refreshing, and less meal-y. I'm looking for maybe some Belgian styles or Saison suggestions, or maybe some Pale ale suggestions. Anything that comes in 6-pack form is good, Im not a huge fan of 22oz bottles. Ive had a bunch of IPA's but I don't think I want anything quite so hoppy, although some of them I could drink more than a few without becoming overwhelmed by the hops(ie Harpoon IPA). What are some suggestions?

Sam Adams Noble Pils
Leninies 1888 Bock
Arcadia Ales Anglers Ale
Founders Cerise
Bell's Pale Ale
New Holland Sundog

there's some to get you started!

goose island honkers ale (local for you)
Lakefront Brewing ESB
Capitol Maibock
Sprecher Maibock

Stay away from Miller Lite, it's tipple hopped!

And btw, why is this question in this forum???

Go crazy and find a nice location that sales or serves some good craft beer and find what you like.. get a sampler and find your taste. If you can't find anything get some bud select and pour it into your eyes and try again.

Two Brother's Prairie Path Ale is local and a great thirsty beer...

I've found Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to be a "one right after the other beer" as well... might be a little hoppier than you like though, I would think of it more as an IPA. Redhook ESB is an easy drinker and easy to find. Hoegaarden is a great example of a witbier, and very refreshing cold. Rogue Dead Guy Ale packs a punch buts stays pretty light on the palette doing it...

Good suggestions. Im leaning towards the Founders Cerise or Bells Pale Ale. How is the Sierra Nevada Glissade? Im not a huge fan of their Pale Ale but the Glissade slightly intrigues me. What is it comparable to?

-Young's double chocolate stout 9/10

An amazing full bodied stout with 5.2 abv and a super sweet pallate. Much better than most chocolate stouts.

-Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout 9/10

A super creamy, silky and luxurious stout with about 5 abv.

Back