My hops planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
Hey guys had a quick question for you. I just got my hops about a week and a half ago (Cascade, Willamette, Nugget). I planted my hops in 1 gallon buckets until I could get my hop arbor built, its almost done I will post pics when I have it complete.

The questions:
1) Is that ok for them to be planted in small buckets like that until I get my site completed and transplanted this weekend?
2) I have some growth (very slight growth) but nothing like some of the things I have seen like 12" in 2-3 week sorta stuff. Is it because they are in a small bucket?

I have been watering them a little bit each day just to keep it damp but of course the top dries out each day. Does it sound like I'm on the right path?

Thanks,
-BMW

yeah, it's fine.

I did the same thing last year, and for first year plantings, it's all about root growth, and don't worry about getting any hop flowers. my plants produced maybe 8 bines, no longer than a foot or two all summer.

This year, I have bines about 12' high so far. They are hardy plants.

Yeah, you should be good starting them in buckets. Just be real carful when transplanting them. If you knock any shoots off it will stop growing. WIth some time. you will get more shoots and\or side shoots but it can talk a little bit of time.

BTW, I'm originally from Tiffin, OH. Been to Fremont many of times for HS football games and what not. I also have some family up there in Fremont!

Well here are the pics of my Hop Arbor that I said I would post. Tell me what you think. You think they will like their new home?

hops pictures by darkhorse6511 - Photobucket

:rockin:
Nice job on the arbor - If you built it yourself how about providing a list of materials & sizes you cut everything to. I am a complete klutz when it comes to woodworking but it looks like a fun project to do with my son who hopefully would learn to measure twice and cut correctly - unlike me.

Off the top of my head so don't hold me to anything.

Basic frame:
4) 4x4x16' sunk in ground about 3 1/2' set to make a 12' x 4' frame
4) 40 lbs. bags of quickcrete for post
6) 2x6x12'
-2- for the long runners on the bottom
-1- cut into three 4' pieces for the 2 short ends on the bottom
*save the last 4' piece for later*
-3- cut into 6' pieces for the 5 arbor tops
*save 1 piece leftover piece, but cut it to 4'*
2) 2x6x16' for the top long runners (I cut mine to 15' leaving 1 1/2' over hang past the post on each side)
2) saved 2x6x4'pieces go on the top short ends

End lattice:
I made my own, maybe a little extra work but I like it better cause I think it looks better and it is a hell of alot stronger than that premade garbage:D
4) 2x4x8'
-rip all of those into 5/8" strips. the last one will be just a tad skinnier (should get 5 pieces out of each = 20 total strips)
- take 11 of the 8' long strips and cut them to 4'long (giving you 22 pieces)
- that leaves (9) 8' piece you will use 8 of them. Cut the other one into stakes if you want.

Hardware:
16) 3/8" x 3" Lags with washers
1) box of 3" exterior screws
1) box of 1 1/4" exterior screws 1" if you can find.

Process:
1. Sink your posts with concrete
2. frame up the bottom
3. let the concrete set overnight
4. put up your long top runners with lags
5. put up your ends for the top with lags
*** cut off any excess 4x4 post sticking up***
6. Notch your (5) 2x6x6' piece for the arbor tops 2 1/2" deep so that they can slide on to the top runners
7. angle the ends of the 5 arbor top pieces.
8. Slide them on to the top runners into place and toenail them
9. take your 22 ripped 2x4 pieces and space them horizontally on the inside of the arbor post and screw them in (11 on each side)
10. take the 8 ripped 2x4x8' pieces and attach them to the out side of the horizontal pieces vertically (4 each side). ***use the short screws***

Done!
Since I already did it, it seems easy to me, so I hope I didn't forget to write a step. But it was easy, fun, and I did it for under $200. So that wasn't bad

I did have my dad for an extra set of hands and that will definately make it easier for you.

Have fun and post some pics if you do it.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back