I'm making some mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsinn

Reaction score
And I'm wondering if this setup is alright, I'm only making about a gallon.
The first bottles is the primary, second is secondary and I'm thinking of using the glass bottle to bottle half the contents and the rest in pet bottles.
I'm going to use Joe's Quick Grape Mead recipe.
What are your thoughts on this setup and is using that bottle to bottle a good idea?

Thanks.

well that pump you have is no good. its going to oxidize the mead as you pump. (it looks like a gasoline pump)

learn how to siphon with just a hose and sanitizer solution...its not too hard to master.

I'm not sure which bottle you're planning to bottle in. plastic is ok to ferment in primary, but i've never had good luck re-using twist off plastic jugs for bottling.

Nice, I just tasted some 2.5 yr old mead. First mead I've had and it was delicious!

Since good mead requires such long term storage I would bottle all of it in smaller bottles...
Thats all I got

the glass bottle looks like a growler - not a good choice for mead because: 1) they aren't designed to hold much pressure (if you make your mead sparkling) and 2) they don't have a good way to seal longterm to keep air out (it's fine to transport beer from the bar home, but not fine to age something as long as mead takes)

the glass bottle looks like a growler - not a good choice for mead because: 1) they aren't designed to hold much pressure (if you make your mead sparkling) and 2) they don't have a good way to seal longterm to keep air out (it's fine to transport beer from the bar home, but not fine to age something as long as mead takes)

Could you seal the cap with wax?

Latest posts

Back