Force Carbing in a day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
So I've got my beer in the keg ready to go, but no gas. My buddy is coming up for the weekend and bringing his CO2. I've got the keg on the porch chilling for better absorption. Is there any chance we could have carbonated beer by tomorrow??? Advice??? Thanks in advance!

Possible. If you can cool it down, hook it up to the gas, and shake, it will carb faster

Chill, connect at serving pressure and shake until the regulator stops rattling. Takes about 10-15 minutes and a strong back.

Serve.

(The flavor will change a bit over the next 3-4 days, as the beer adjusts to the pH change.)

I almost always keg after cold crashing the secondary down to about 30-32. That way most of the yeast has dropped before kegging and the chilled, flat beer will take CO2 better.

I purge the keg with gas from the bottom up through the diptube, with the gas line connected to the black ball lock connector. Rack into the keg as usual (I use CO2 to start the syphon). Once the keg's full and the lid is on I purge the keg a couple times, again with the gas on the black ball lock feeding CO2 from the bottom of the keg, burping the gas from the lid vent and the gas-in sides of the keg.

With the gas at about 25 p.s.i. lay the keg on it's side (dip-tube side of the keg down) and gently rock it back and forth until you don't hear gas gurgling into the keg. Give it a minute and rock it back and forth some more. Usually takes about 20 minutes or so to quit taking on gas. After that, reconnect the gas to the gray ball lock like usual and stand it in the fridge overnight. Don't forget to lower the pressure before tapping a glass! I've done this as short as the morning of a big party and had cold carbonated beer that night to serve. Of course, 3-4 days in the keg at serving pressure is better if you have the time.

Chill, connect at serving pressure and shake until the regulator stops rattling. Takes about 10-15 minutes and a strong back.

Serve.

(The flavor will change a bit over the next 3-4 days, as the beer adjusts to the pH change.)

^ What he said. Although some people will bump the pressure higher, in theory to speed up the process. Then bleed and reduce to serve.

I just did this with my first keg and it worked pretty well, although it took me quite a bit longer than 15 minutes.

So am I understanding this correctly that you keep it hooked up to the gas while shaking?

This won't send beer up and out the gas dip tube into your gas ball lock fitting/hose?

I have a keg I am trying to burst carb right now and just want to make sure I do it right and don't mess up my regulator, the beer, or anything else for that matter...

Yes, leave the gas hooked up. When the gurgling stops reshake/roll.

Actually, by laying it on the floor make sure the "gas in" is toward the floor when you start and stop because the gas needs to go into and through the liquid.

With the carboy on the floor you can just use your foot to roll it back and forth.

My regulator has a check valve before the gas line so I never get beer into the regulator, but..........
The only time I've had problems is when force carbing two kegs at the same time with a tee in the gas line, and the gas hooked to the beer-out posts. If one keg is at, say 25 psi, and the other isn't when you hook it up, beer will promptly shoot up one hose and into the other keg until the pressure balances between the two. Hate to say it, but I've had that happen once or twice ;)

Back