Looking for some suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
Ok so I turn 22 soon and haven't really had much time around beer(legally). Im a college student so microbrews kinda break the bank when its an 8-11 dollar six pack and thats one of the reasons I started homebrewing. Because of this, I havent had time nor money to try all that many different good beers or brewerys. Do you guys have any suggestions of good clones or recipes I should make? I had the Stone IPA recently really liked that, so I have a basic IPA I'm brewing now, and plan on making Yooper DFH 60 minute clone in 2 batches. I also plan for my next brew to make Edwort's Bee Cave Haus Ale. I just want to try a bunch of different brews. I can only do extracts for now since my crappy stove, and Im in SOAZ so I cant get things cold enough to lager. Any help appreciated.

So many recipes to try. Here's what I've learned: just because someone put a recipe on the internet (or even this site) doesn't mean its great, but there are some recipes on this board that get brewed by a lot of people and those are the reliable ones. Kits can be good but I've found that they can sometimes be the bare minimum for a style. Also, I like recipes where the person who put it together has no way to profit from it.

Yeah My first 3 brews were all kits, nothing against them, but I'd like to make more specific styled beers if that makes sense. More clones less styles.

So my first primary is clear, and its that time again to brew brew brew!
I think I'm going with this American Pale Ale Recipe thats a recipe from my LHBS so Ill just go in and pick up all the lovely things before school tomorrow. I have never used Wyeast, but they are very good about keeping fresh stock at the LHBS here, is it worth the extra few bucks for a Sierra Nevada clone? I was really curious about yeast washing so maybe for this brew get the Wyeast and wash the yeast and keep it going for a while? Anything else you guys would add to the recipe?

Looks fine to me. I'm not familiar with brew saltz, I don't know if their really necessary. I don't bother with Irish moss either, I don't really care if my brew is crystal clear or not.

FreakinA,
Do you have a LHBS? It's the true cheap route, but you can go in, look over the books, and make a recipe from them without buying the book. My LHBS will even photocopy the page for me!

If you are trying to save a buck, which I know was not your real quesion, my favorite recipe is apple cider.

-15-20 frozen apple juice concentrate cans. Make sure it has nothing in it but "apple juice, water." The number of cans really makes a difference in taste and alcohol, so you may want to play with it. Only buy them when that are $1 or cheaper. If you see them for 75 cents stock up. You can boil if you want, but if not rinse the outside of each can with a sanitizer.
-champagne yeast. though many people say to use ale yeast. I usually make a big starter.
-Fill the fermentor to 5 gallons.

Under the right conditions it ferments to about 7 to 8% ABV. If you sweeten it it is great to get your girl drunk. Sweetening does get tricky if you are bottle conditioning. Try artificial sweeteners, though do not tell the guys about that part at the LHBS. They will make fun of you and try to get you to buy lactose. It takes a lot of lactose to sweeten cider.

I really like the bitter beers. But hops are hard to come by these days for cheap. So at my house I will drink 1 or 2 of my IIPAs and then start on cider.

Tonight I am going to try a apple-cherry juice concentrate. It worked well in my half gallon experiments.

FreakinA,
Do you have a LHBS? It's the true cheap route, but you can go in, look over the books, and make a recipe from them without buying the book. My LHBS will even photocopy the page for me!

Yes yes. The website link is to my LHBS. That is from their recipe book! Thats why I was interested in trying it.

Back