Yeast Nutrient in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
I'm using Lalvin C-1118 champagne yeast to ferment my Apfelwein. I used 5 gallons of apple juice, and 3 pounds of corn sugar. Is adding yeast nutrient a good idea? I've never used it before in any of my brews.

Also, Lalvin reccommends using C-1118 champagne yeast for stuck fermentations of all kinds. I have a Christmas spiced beer that is nowhere near its target gravity- could adding this save my fermentation?

I used 1 tsp per gallon of yeast nutrient and it worked great and didn't develop rhino farts I also put in 1/8 tsp per gallon of yeast energizer.

What was the OG and the current SG of the beer? How long as it been there? What was the recipe and the yeast you used. With that info someone here can help you.

oh, and the OG was about 1.095 ( i didnt correct for temp), and current gravity is about 1.035. My target is 1.022 ( i dont think i've had a beer yet thats actually reached its target gravity, however)

Reading on the apfelwein forums, there's some evidence that using nutrient cuts down on the rhino farts. I used it with mine and didn't have any sulfur smells at all.

(Borrowed from How to Brew by John Palmer)

You will see three types of yeast nutrients on the market that can supplement a wort that is high in refined sugars or adjuncts.

Di-ammonium Phosphate - This is strictly a nitrogen supplement that can take the place of a lack of FAN.

Yeast Hulls - This is essentially dead yeast, the carcasses of which act as agglomeration sites and contain some useful residual lipids.

Yeast Nutrient or Energizer - The name can vary, but the intent is a mixture of di-ammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, biotin and vitamins. These mixtures are a more complete dietary supplement for the yeast and what I recommend.
Servomyces (tm) - This product from Lallemand is similar to yeast hulls but differs by having a useful amount of rapidly assimilable zinc, which is an essential enzyme co-factor for yeast health. This product falls within the provisions of the Rheinheitsgebot.
My nutrient is Food grade Urea and Ammonium phosphate. My energizer is DAP, Yeast hulls, Magnesium Sulfate and Vitamin B complexes

The energizer is great on stuck ferments. I add a little at the start of the ferment to help. Its not needed all the time but it never hurts and does keep the yeast stress level down.

In my opinion no anyone could ever say whether you have to use nutrients or not. It is all up to the apples, the juice and whether or not they have the proper nutrients for a complete ferment.

It will certainly keep the "rhino farts" as you called them at bay. I use FermGo for starting yeasts, Fermaid K for nutrients and DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) for my nitrogen supplementing.

Those smells are not good, they may age off but can be prevented and/or halted using nutrients (Fermaid K contains nitrogen) and/or DAP.

Use your senses primarily your sense of smell.

I use yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & a wee bit of additional D.A.P. with every fermentation. I've NEVER had "rhino farts" from any fermentation, including apfelwein using montrachet yeast. For the price of a few cents, I'm virtually guarranteed a healthy fermentation. That's my 2 cents worth, hope you find it useful. Regards, GF.

Back