Can a picnic tap be used to pour a stout with blended gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I have 2 stouts in kegs and I don't have a stout tap yet. My friend gave a me a 5# bottle of blended CO2 and Nitrogen. Can I use a picnic tap to dispense this? or will I just waste the gas or worse make a huge mess?

I'm no expert, but I do think it'll waste the gas. Doubt it'll make a mess, but you won't get the same pour without the special restrictor disk in a nitro tap that breaks up the nitrogen.

Check it.

Sure it can.
The point of a stout faucet is to de Gas the beer. That's what gives the thick creamy head and still keep the lack of carbonation. The Nitrogen blended gas will help keep the carb level down, and if you just barely open the picnic tap, you can create all the foam you want.

we have tried it and it just dosent work.
dont get me wrong you can get beer out of it.
just not the same pour
JJ

But was the pour better then just using CO2? I could careless about the cost of refilling the tank. If it was hands down the same as CO2 that i won't bother to hook it up.

I guess another point I should make is the keg was carb with straight CO2, does that matter?

Back