Smoked Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to make a smoked beer, and I came up with this recipe:

55% Pils malt, Weyermann
25% Smoked malt, Weyermann
20% Honey

20 IBU- (not sure what hop here)
1/2oz English aroma hops

this is a..... Tripel.
In my head, smoke, honey and english hops are a good combination. what do you think?
I know its weird, but I like weird...

What do I think of a smoked tripel? I'm not sure. If you like smoked beers, it's worth a shot. Have you had rauchbier/know what you're getting into with rauchmalt?

As to the recipe, I'm not sure how much of a tripel character it's going to have. Looks to me more like it's going to taste like a really dry smoked pilsener than anything else, since it's pretty much just pilsener malt and rauchmalt. I've not brewed a tripel before, so I don't know what to put in them to give it the tripel character other than the yeast, if anything.

i just added 20% rauch malt to a california common and it added just the right amount of smoke.

I'm not sure about the honey, but if you think it'll be a good combo, give it a shot. I'd just use something clean for the bittering addition, you don't want flavor or aroma hops mixed with the smoke.

Back