Spicy hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I'm currently throwing a recipe together for my winter ale (I know, it's summer, but it never hurts to plan ahead) and I'm thinking about making it a well hopped brew with hops known for their spicy character. So my question is, which hops would work the best for this type of brew?

Apparently Argentine Cascade has a very spicy character. I just brewed a batch using some, so we shall see, but the guy at the LHBS used some in a rye pale ale and said it complimented the rye spiciness very well.

Now is a good time to make your winter ale. Cluster, Galena are spicy without citrus notes. Willamette is good in winter ales.

I was considering using Sterling for bittering and Liberty for flavor and aroma, and maybe dry hopping with both. Here's how Northern Brewer describes them:

Liberty
Typical alpha: 3.0-5.0%. Very spicy American substitute for Hallertau Mittelfrüh.

Sterling
Typical alpha: 6.0-9.0%. A newer American-grown hybrid with a unique spicy flavor that is reminiscent of both Saaz and Hallertau. Sterling is gaining favor in some breweries for its fair bittering potential and excellent aroma and flavor.

Does this sound accurate and does anyone here have experience with these hops?

Yes it does. I use Sterling and Liberty in a number of my recipies.. gives a nice spicy bite without the "C" hop citrus

Cool. How does this look?

3.15 lbs. gold LME (60 min.)
6 lbs. gold LME (15 min.)
1 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
1/4 lb. Belgian Special B
1 oz. Sterling (60 min.)
1 oz. Sterling (40 min.)
1 oz. Liberty (20 min.)
1 oz. Liberty (5 min.)
1 oz. Sterling (DH)
1 oz. Liberty (DH)
White Labs WLP550 Belgian ale yeast

I'm looking for a Belgian style strong ale with, as I said, alot of spicy hop character.

I find warrior to be a nice spicy hop in the kettle, and EKG (earthy too) when dry hopping.
Can't say anything about the ones in your profile.

I find warrior to be a nice spicy hop in the kettle, and EKG (earthy too) when dry hopping.
Can't say anything about the ones in your profile.

Thanks. I have a feeling I'll tweak this recipe a few times before settling on a final recipe.

Cool. How does this look?

3.15 lbs. gold LME (60 min.)
6 lbs. gold LME (15 min.)
1 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
1/4 lb. Belgian Special B
1 oz. Sterling (60 min.)
1 oz. Sterling (40 min.)
1 oz. Liberty (20 min.)
1 oz. Liberty (5 min.)
1 oz. Sterling (DH)
1 oz. Liberty (DH)
White Labs WLP550 Belgian ale yeast

I'm looking for a Belgian style strong ale with, as I said, alot of spicy hop character.
Looks good to me, If you haven't bought it yet I would recommend WLP530 Belgian Abbey yeast if you are going more for spicy

I realize this is an old thread, but I recently opened a Scottish 80 that I made with Fuggles and northern brewer's hopshot extract. 5 gallon batch, 90 minute boil. Bottled for 3 months in a 50 degree cellar. Was 1.056 OG and a 1.020 FG.

I used 1oz Fuggles @ 60 min -- but then used 2oz hopshot @20 min and 1oz hopshot at 5 min.

My god. What a spicy result. In fact, it's overwhelmingly spicy. It's too much -- nearly all spice, very little malt. It's a shame, because I'd hoped for a bit more balance.

Anyway, lesson learned: (a) Hopshot is fine for bittering, but I'll never again use it for flavor or aroma additions and (b) I wish they'd come out with an extract that instead of spicy has the citrus/piney flavor common to American IPAs. (Is Hopshot super concentrated Warrior?)

I would stash those bottle away for a few months. Could be very good once the hops fade a bit.

Yep. That's the plan. I'm hoping for a nice, mellow taste by spring -- with a bit more malt coming through.

Back