Houston National Homebrew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For all Houston area brewers, as well as those interested in brewing:

This Saturday is National Homebrew Day. In Houston, we will gather in the parking lot at the Saint Arnold brewery and see what we can whip up. For those brewing, I understand that Saint Arnold will provide hot water for mashing and sparging until 11am and cold water for chilling after that. I understand that the brewery would like everyone mashed in by then, if not earlier. I cannot speak for anyone, but I hear that folks will start showing up around 9 or so. If you're just dying to see me, I'll be out there about 10:30 or 11 (but not brewing :( )

I also understand that Saint Arnold may provide yeast slurry for pitching, although we do not yet know what yeast they may provide (it will not be their "house" yeast, though - it will probably be their koelsch yeast). The Foam Rangers also are working to gather yeast slurry for pitching, but we do not yet know what we can get (probably some Chico, though). If you want to be safe, or if you want a different yeast, you need to bring your own.

There will be the regularly scheduled brewery tour going on that day, if you are interested. You can find a map to the brewery and details about the tour at This Link.

Homebrew and commercial beer is welcome, but you must keep it outside the brewery (and do not even think of getting sneaky about it). Bring your own gear, ingredients, shade, and place to sit. It's probably a good idea to bring your own food, too. Even though someone usually whips something up, you never know how much there is.

Come on out, even if you aren't brewing, and especially if you are just interested in seeing how it all goes down. I hope to see you!

TL

We just got word on what yeast will be available this Saturday. This is what I just heard from our guy setting things up with the brewery:

Vince [Head Brewer] says he will have the following available:

As it looks now, we will have
1.WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager
2.WLP029 German Kolsch
3.WLP300 German Hefeweizen
and if all turns out perfect:
4. WLP001 California Ale

*I will let you know if he says he will definitively have Chico as soon as he tells me

I will let you know any further developments, and I hope to see you out there.

TL

The timing for this couldn't be better. I'm visiting Houston this week and was planning to take the brewery tour anyway, *and* I want to go AG later this year but have never seen it done. Now I'll have my chance.

Sounds like great fun. I'm off to the OSU Pets Day Saturday, unless it's snowing/hailing/sleeting. Rain, the greys & I can handle, but the weather has been weird this Spring.

We've got a big group brew day scheduled here in B/CS too. Unfortunately I won't have time to brew, but I hope to at least be able to stop by and swap beer making lies. :D

Scotty_g said:
The timing for this couldn't be better. I'm visiting Houston this week and was planning to take the brewery tour anyway, *and* I want to go AG later this year but have never seen it done. Now I'll have my chance.

I hope to see you out there, Scotty!

TL

I again want to say thanks to all of the Houston area brewers who made me feel welcome at St. Arnold's today...I had a great time and enjoyed some tasty, tasty beverages (and not just from St. A's). It was wonderful to hang out with all of you, and if you get up my way just let me know and we can head out for a pint on me.

Back