Ale/Lager amber ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmanbrewster

Reaction score
I just did my first all grain batch. I will be using wyeast 1968 london esb ale for 36 hours. Cold crashing, rack to secondary, aerate, pitch 2007 pilsen, wait a few weeks bring up to 60 dry hop for a few weeks. It seems like alot of work but may bring some interesting results. Has anyone used an ale and lager yeast like this before in a batch?

Well I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the 36 hours. I do know that you do not want to aerate fermented/fermenting wort due to off flavors, etc, a better thing to do might be adding new wort that is well aerated when you rack and add the pilsen yeast, then proceed.

I just did my first all grain batch. I will be using wyeast 1968 london esb ale for 36 hours. Cold crashing, rack to secondary, aerate, pitch 2007 pilsen, wait a few weeks bring up to 60 dry hop for a few weeks. It seems like alot of work but may bring some interesting results. Has anyone used an ale and lager yeast like this before in a batch?

I think it'd be all fermented out before you even pitched the pilsen yeast.

Thanks for the reply guys. I plan on accomplishing half the fermentation with the ale yeast at 36 hours cause it would take at least 7 days for the ale yeast to completly ferment all the sugars and cold crashing for a few days at 33 degrees hoping the yeast would fall. Aerating with as few ale yeast left in wort, Racking into secondary at pitching temp for pilsen yeast and continue fermentation. Combining an ale with pilsner in one beer is what I want to accomplish.

Colobrewer is it the yeast, alcohol, or just the wort that gives off flavors when adding oxygen to a fermented or in my case a half fermented wort.

Back