Crystal Malt and other specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
I was reading a beginner homebrewing booklet that specifically states, "Crystal malt sugars can be extracted by boiling only." It seems that base malts should be mashed around 160 degrees F. Is the steeping process for specialty grains similar (as far as temperature) to the mashing process of base malts or does the whole "Do not boil" thing not even apply to specialty grains? Whatever the case, can anyone tell me (or send me a link about) the temps and basic process to extract the sugars from specialty grains like crystal malt and black patent?

captaineriv

captaineriv said:
I was reading a beginner homebrewing booklet that specifically states, "Crystal malt sugars can be extracted by boiling only." It seems that base malts should be mashed around 160 degrees F. Is the steeping process for specialty grains similar (as far as temperature) to the mashing process of base malts or does the whole "Do not boil" thing not even apply to specialty grains? Whatever the case, can anyone tell me (or send me a link about) the temps and basic process to extract the sugars from specialty grains like crystal malt and black patent?

captaineriv

Start reading here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12.html

Here is a chart showing the extraction rates: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

You do not want to boil any grain due to risk of extracting tannins that will cause astringency in your beer.

There is only one time when you will ever boil your malt and that is during a Decoction Mash and then because the process includes an acid rest stage, you are ensured that your ph is low enough to prevent tannin extraction.

So there you have it. Don't boil, just steep at 155 to 160 degrees.

Just a follow-up... This comment is especially geared for novice and intermediate homebrewers and junior members of this forum (like myself) that may come across this thread. If you have not checked into the above link in ScottT's reply, do yourself a favor and do so. It rivals many of the printed homebrewing guides I've seen for sale in stores, and it is amazing that such a comprehensive resource is available online for free.

captaineriv

Ditto captaineriv. There is a printed version that is available. I purchased mine from my LHBS at their suggestion when I was just interested in homebrewing. If you find it, pick up a copy. The best $16.95 I ever spent.

I too have the printed copy - it came with my kit. I've moved into all grain brewing and did it with palmer's book. It's a great resource for beginner brewer and ag expert alike.

As to the original question,

no, don't ever boil your grains... unless you want your beer to taste like tea that is.

Same here.

Palmer gave me all I needed for all-grain. "The Joy of Homebrewing" is good, but Palmer's stuff is much more straight forward and practical.

Back