Need a good recipe for a summer citrusy ale..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I am looking for a good summer ale that is very citrusy. I recently had a store bought summer ale that was awesome. I was out at the time and neglected to get the name. I remember the can looked something old fashioned like the "Newman's Own" line of products or maybe like a country-time lemonade can. It was really good and very refreshing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe you had Leinenkugle's summer shandy? It has a lemony zing to it. Try looking at the recipes section at the top of the forum.

Well,they give you enough info to plug into beersmith,or other programs online to play around with the amounts needed. The numbers,names,...even hops used are there.
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/ This should help get the #'s right. I'd say plain Wheat malt & plain extra light barley malt for starters. And maybe 1oz of the mentioned Cluster hops in 2 additions at 20mins & 10 mins. Zest of a few lemons.

Well,they give you enough info

Almost. They don't give any percentages, times, quantities, temps, yeast, malt suppliers, etc. And they don't even tell you what type of natural flavoring they use in that list. Natural Lemonade Flavor? WTF? Does that mean there is sugar in there? But I guess I could plug that into my program and make something close, but it might take me a LONG time. But at least they put the calories and carbs on there???

I wish I had an answer for the OP as this beer looks good.

Yeah,same here. Just going on what I know. Some here talked about it,but I don't remember anything listed. I read a story on germanbeerinstitute.com About the guy outside Munich that came up with it by mixing this natural lemon soda he had lots of with a light colored beer he was running out of.

I found this and it looks pretty easy - I might give it a try. It looks like it is just a lighter wheat beer mixed with lemonade in the keg.

***********http://www.brew-wineforum.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=6&messageid=159138********
The summer shandy clone is done and is very good. I would even say it is better than the original. I added 2 quarts of lemonade (recipe on bottle of real lemon juice) to my keg and then added a bavarian wheat to it and carbonated at 35psi for two days. Everyone including the women loved it and think it is better than the original. It does not have as much lemon flavor and you can taste more beer than the Leinenkugel summer shandy. I will definitely make this again. It was also the cheapest beer I have ever made.

Recipe:

One batch of boundary waters Wheat with fermentis safeale US-05 yeast (fermented 2 1/2 weeks, no secondary)

2 quarts of lemonade

Keg, carbonate and keep cold or lemonade will ferment

I've been researching the Summer Shandy recipie also. A couple of threads said to put two powdered lemonade flavored koolaid packs in the secondary.

Another good summer brew is the AHS Citra Ale.

I was under the impression that summer shandy was like pilsen malt with some wheat malt added & brewed as an ale with cluster & lemonade or whatever?
I've worked up a recipe over the last couple months that's in the same vein as the summer shandy my wife's going to brew up.
1 cooper's OS lager can
1lb Munton's plain light malt
1lb Munton's plain wheat malt
250g of demerara sugar
1oz whole leaf Willamette hops.
re-hydrated cooper's ale yeast
Maybe dry hop with lemon zest?
brewed to 23L,or 6G

unionrdr - what is the "1 cooper's OS lager can"? Is that like a 4lb can of LME? Are the Munton's DMEs? Not a lot of hops but it looks like it would fit the bill for the base beer. I think I would make this beer, perhaps dry hop with some lemon zest, then experiment with mixing real lemonade (mix with real sugar and real lemons). When I find the right combo, I'd hit the beer with Campdon tabs and mix in the lemonade (boiled first). Then let it sit for a few weeks.

Maybe you had Leinenkugle's summer shandy? It has a lemony zing to it. Try looking at the recipes section at the top of the forum.

I am from the midwest originally, and would rink honey weiss "lienenkugels" religiously.

unionrdr - what is the "1 cooper's OS lager can"? Is that like a 4lb can of LME? Are the Munton's DMEs? Not a lot of hops but it looks like it would fit the bill for the base beer. I think I would make this beer, perhaps dry hop with some lemon zest, then experiment with mixing real lemonade (mix with real sugar and real lemons). When I find the right combo, I'd hit the beer with Campdon tabs and mix in the lemonade (boiled first). Then let it sit for a few weeks.

It's the Original Series Lager can,1.7kg (about 3.75lb) that comes with ale yeast. So it's a light pale ale that tastes to me like a close base. And the Munton's are "plain" (un-hopped) DME's. I was thinking of using this crystallized lemon juice at the store's baking needs isle. They have lime crystal as well,but they're like $4.50 for a box of 8 tsp size packets.

Back