Adding Pasteur Champagne yeast to Hefeweizen wheat beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
Dumb question, I know, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

First though, I brewed my 3rd batch of beer Friday night and, without making a starter, pitched my liquid yeast when the wort MAY have been too hot. Now, almost 3 days later, I see no signs of fermentation. I didn't take my first reading until 12 hours after pitching, and THAT reading is identical to today's reading. (1.030 and they were taken 48 hours apart.)

I cannot get more of the same liquid yeast until tomorrow evening, and by that time the wort will be 4 days old.

Then there's the possibly that I still have to wait 24-72 hrs after pitching for this second non-started liquid yeast to start rocking on.

Here's my question: Can I use an extra packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne I had stowed in the fridge? As in use it NOW. I expect the answer to be "no", but I had to ask.

Thanks in advance.

G

You could, but your final product is going to not taste anything like a hefeweizen. It will most likely also be too dry and boozy. Find some sort of ale yeast, anything really. If you have no choice but to wait, I would.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My biggest concern is with my wort sitting for so long, it could get some kinda off flavor or start breeding bacteria.

I'll just have to see. If I start to hear scratching sounds coming from inside the fermenter, I'll chunk it and start over.

Don't worry about it. If you've been sanitary it will take longer than 72 hours to completely ruin the beer. And even if it did start growing something funky (which it absolutely, definitely, probably won't), don't dump it. It could turn out to be something awesome. A little Brett or Pedo can be a good thing.

One more in a long, long, LOOOOOONG line of threads...

..."always use a starter".

I know, I know!! (spanks own hand) I've heard that mentioned here and there, so NOW I guess I just learned it the hard way.

Mama always swore that I was a knuckle-head.

Seriously though, thanks to all. This site is "it"!!! :rockin:

Back