Bock Obsession vs. Shiner Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerod1

Reaction score
My first brew is ready and I chilled a bottle of "Obsession" My wife named it "Obsession" because according to her I was obsessed with making sure everything was clean. Today we did an honest blind taste test and we both agreed "Obsession" beats "Shiner Bock" I always liked Shiner and still do but I think mine is better.. We couldn't even tell the color or anything, it was an honest test.:mug:

Not that it really matters, but for stylistic reasons I feel compelled to point out that Shiner Bock isn't actually a "bock" in the technical sense of the term, it's actually a "dark american lager." So if you were trying to brew a classic "bock" I would expect you to prefer your home brew over the Shiner. If it's just a straight up comparison, welcome to Home Brewing - you'll find much of what you brew is better than the beer commercially available.

My beer is MUCH darker than Shiner Bock, and tastes better..:mug:

What was your recipe? I would be interested in trying this.

Also, anyone else care to chime in....I would love to do an American Dark Lager (but maybe cheat with a kolsch yeast). What would be a good grain base for this?

I have a AHS Shiner Bock clone in secondary right now.... be in the keg next week (or sooner if I can finish my stout keg).

I just used the Munton's bock beer kit with 3# of DME which I got from "Homebrew Headquartes" in Richardson, TX (local). As long as I can get my supplies from HBHQ, I will not buy online.
HBHQ put on a homebrew class at my church for our men's group. They were very nice and helpful. They even donated two kits for the people bringing the most guests to the class which is how I got my kit.
There were about 36 people showed up for the class.
We are now having a homebrew tasting contest on May, 29th at the church. The judging will be in accordance with the American Homebrewers Association rules. So far we have 14 beer entries in the contest.
I am really liking all this fun!!

I just used the Munton's bock beer kit with 3# of DME which I got from "Homebrew Headquartes" in Richardson, TX (local). As long as I can get my supplies from HBHQ, I will not buy online.
HBHQ put on a homebrew class at my church for our men's group. They were very nice and helpful. They even donated two kits for the people bringing the most guests to the class which is how I got my kit.
There were about 36 people showed up for the class.
We are now having a homebrew tasting contest on May, 29th at the church. The judging will be in accordance with the American Homebrewers Association rules. So far we have 14 beer entries in the contest.
I am really liking all this fun!!

I'm really liking that church!! :ban:

I'm really liking that church!! :ban:

We also get the local gun range to open early so we can have a church range day as well!! We have a church dove hunt coming up in September.
Christianity does not equal boring!!
The same day as the beer contest is a chili cooking contest. After the two contests we will sample all the wares!!

Started drinking the AHS Shiner Bock clone a couple nights ago.

It has been about 16m since I had one, but it is very close, as I remember. My wife had a few about 2m ago and she thought it was correct.

Had the rest of my Canadian Texan friends over for a smoked brisket (topped with Rudy's bbq sauce) and Shiner. They were all very impressed. "How all y'all doin', eh"

The only difference that I could put a finger on was a slight molasses note. Hard to describe.... I assume it is an extract flavor from the amber extract, but am a bit unsure. Most of what I use is ultra light or dark DME, so it may be common to all the ambers.

Started drinking the AHS Shiner Bock clone a couple nights ago.

It has been about 16m since I had one, but it is very close, as I remember. My wife had a few about 2m ago and she thought it was correct.

Had the rest of my Canadian Texan friends over for a smoked brisket (topped with Rudy's bbq sauce) and Shiner. They were all very impressed. "How all y'all doin', eh"

The only difference that I could put a finger on was a slight molasses note. Hard to describe.... I assume it is an extract flavor from the amber extract, but am a bit unsure. Most of what I use is ultra light or dark DME, so it may be common to all the ambers.

Do you know essentially what the kit included recipe wise? I'm going to try to make this on my own....

Latest posts

Back