First AG....I think I won....kinda...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
First of all, thx to everyone here that is seemingly on call (for their calling) 247. Without everyone's help I wouldn't have even attempted todays first AG.

I have been brewing extract w/ steeping grains for about a year. Had some great brews but have always wanted to take it to the AG level.

After thinking that PM would be a logical step, I noticed it was glorified steeping with a back up plan.

I bought 50ft of 3/8 copper from Amazon for about $38 for an immersion. Hit Home Depot for some fittings and I was off and running.

I followed this thread to a tee and it turned out great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

I got the 10 gallon cooler just in case would like to do 10 gallon batches in the future.

I bought a Banjo burner and a larger pot.

Today was a Platinum Bavarian Weizen from AHS.

5 1/2 lbs German Pils
4lb Red Wheat
1/2 Cara Pils
3/4 Saaz 60 min
1/4 Saaz 15 min
White Labs Platinum Bavarian Weizen

My strike temp was set by Beersmith at 162F.
The desired mash temp was 150.
I came in at 152-3 in the round Rubbermaid cooler.

There wasn't any temp loss during the mash.

I then mashed out until the grain bed was dry and the first runnings came in at 1.060.

Then I batch sparged and got my needed 6.25 for my boil.

Cooled her down and the OG came in at 1.044, which is the lowest number in beersmith for the style.

I have no idea how to calculate efficiency and would like some help on that.

It smelt like beer, it looked like beer, and well...I think I just did my first AG.

Thanks everyone,
~Diz

Way to go, dude! It took me 3 AG batches to have an low maintenance mashing day (which was today, coincidentally).

I usually tool around with BeerSmith to estimate my efficiency. If you click on the "Brewhouse Efficiency" button, there's a calculator that can help. I take a pre-boil sample because I'm impatient.

I have an AG Kolsch on tap (wishful thinking) for this Friday. Should be the start of a good weekend.

~Diz

It looks like I was at 61%.......I didn't have a bunch of patience during the sparge.

Will go slower next time.

It will still be beer though right?

~Diz

Back