primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimopilot

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and have a question. I just started my first batch of home brew on Friday and pitched the yeast at 4pm. Saturday things were going well but today, Sunday the air lock is bubbling slower than yesterday. I expected a vigoriss bubbling for several days. The recipie is a simple quick boil of 15 minutes with Muntons "Premium Lager"3lbs. 5oz. and Briess "Golden lite" pure malt extract 3.3 lbs. I added .5 oz. hopps at the beginning of the boil and .5 oz. for the last 2 minutes. Cooled the wort and added spring water to make a 5 gallon batch. Pitched the yeast at 68* F. Is the slower bubbling this soon normal? I must admit that I forgot to measure gravity befor pitching the yeast.

The airlock bubbles really don't mean anything. Let it sit til this Friday and take a gravity reading....Way to early to start worrying. Every fermentation can/will be different.

Welcome to HBT!

While lack bubbling doesn't really mean much, the fact that your beer was bubbling means it's busy doing what it suppose to do. Timing your bubbles is completely useless, every fermentation is different.

Leave your beer alone for a few weeks and bottle it up. Congratulations! You made beer.

Thanks. Got the info I need for now. I'm sure I'll have more qustions soon. It's great to have a forum like this to get quick answers and input for us newbees. But the more successes we have the more beer there is for all of us!

Back